LP12 and Supernait 3 - Listen to this!

You have a great cart there and you can of course swap the stylus with any from the VM series.

1 Like

Before I got my LP12 with VM 530 cartridge, I did have a Rega RP8 with apheta 2 through Aria phonostage and can tell you the LP12 was a clear step up in performance, as you would hope given price differential. But it did bring home to me how the cartridge is the least important aspect of a TTs performance- a £1000k cartridge well beaten by one that costs £150 and also how good the SN3 phono stage is.

4 Likes

I did the comparison at my dealer of Adikt v VM 530 into SN3 and can tell you the latter was easily the equal of the former at nearly a quarter of the price. So yes maybe the Adikt is not a good match.

1 Like

When I first got my Rega P10 I used a Rega Exact MM into the phono stage of my Supernait 3. It was good but not great, and I got an enormous improvement when I fitted an Apheta 3 and got an Aria 3. Maybe a better MM would have achieved the same thing, but they all seem too tall for a Rega arm. While Rega say it doesn’t matter it doesn’t feel quite right to me; this is something that doesn’t apply to a Linn arm of course.

The most important thing in all this is that a Supernait 3 and a nice turntable makes for a really nice, simple setup, and I can understand why @1GiantLeap is so happy with their Linn/SN3 system.

3 Likes

Appreciate that @anon4489532

I listened to a few turntables and there’s no doubt in my mind the Rega P8 and P10 are a brilliant match with Naim and are outstanding value for money when purchased new, especially compared with Linn. I know you are very happy with your Rega set up and are clearly enjoying the vinyl format just as much as I am.

2 Likes

Fully agree on this, the joy of a well conceived vinyl source is you just plug it in and it plays music, and rather nicely.
The challenge with a digital source especially when you add streaming and the Internet to the mix is you walk in to a matrix of options and tweaks and fiddling.
You don’t tend to have that problem with vinyl generally speaking!
Enjoy where you’ve found yourself :partying_face:

2 Likes

I have been using the LP12 with the Adikt MM for a year now and I am absolutely happy with it. It represents the PRAT feeling and I am absolutely enjoying my records, especially when it comes to Jazz. Top combination and fantastic value for the money :+1:

1 Like

Great thread! I too have an LP12 and an SN3. They look and sound great together. I had a “head heart” moment when deciding what TT to replace my trusty RP3 with, bought new out of my student grant in 1983.
I had always wanted an LP12 but they were far too expensive. I fully accept that there are many other options at this price point but I knew that I would not be satisfied with any other TT- irrespective of SQ.
I know this will grate with some- so apologies in advance!
I can also say that once set up, they really do not need lots of fettling etc to keep them sweet.
Enjoy your music.

5 Likes

Thanks @Endon - I was beginning to think, surely I can’t be the only one with a Supernait3 and an LP12 using its built in MM phono stage. Come on . . . where are the rest of you hiding . . . or is this us!?

4 Likes

Well this is annoying, now I want one as well :laughing:
It’s at least refreshing to read about something where everyone is happy with what they’ve got and enjoys what it offers, that alone is worth something.

4 Likes

SN3 and LP12 here also. LP12 is a Cymbiosis built mix of new and old with Karousel and Mose/Hercules PSU. Arm is a Linn Basik+ (donated by my old Linn Axis) and the cartridge is a VM95SH. Using a Cambridge Audio CA640P phono stage as the LP12 is too far away from the Supernait to use the internal one. Sounds great, really low surface noise even with quite old vinyl, not disgraced by the NDAC (with XP5XS PSU) used for digital sources.

6 Likes

Klimax LP12 " Kandid " here with Naim Supernait 3
Cymbiosis Fettled and I’m extremely happy and will not add any extra PS and keep it simple I’m more than happy. :+1:t2:

7 Likes

I’m loving the positivity on this thread!
No moaning- no bickering between forumites- no antagonistic opinions given as “facts”
Keep it up everyone

5 Likes

Hi @mikeyb - I see you are using PMC 20.23s so we have a fairly similar set up. You have a nicely balanced system there - glad you are enjoying it too.

Would be really interested to hear what your Klimax LP12 sounds like @Skeptikal . Wow that’s one hell of a source you have there - no wonder you’re sitting pretty with what you have.

@Mr.M - for a while I was pondering putting a power supply on the NDX2 but opted for the LP12 instead which has been a revelation. Absolutely loving it and the NDX2 is barely being used.

1 Like

@1GiantLeap thanks for your input. I probably should run away from this thread as it’s really got me dreaming of a TT. Scary thought that you say “I’m barely listening to my NDX2”. Yikes!! (similar setup but I have a nDAC/XPSDr)

Guess the real question for me keeping it simple (first TT in years and I still love streaming) is how does the new LP12 Majik starter bundle sound into a SN3.

4 Likes

Another here with an LP12 and SN3 with an Adikt MM. I have had the LP12 for a very long time with a Lingo 1. It is very basic with none of the upgrades as I do not play vinyl a great deal. But the set up sounds very good to me and gives me much pleasure.

10 Likes

Nice to hear this.

2 Likes

Same combination here and v v happy with it, with Dynaudio special 40’s it has real scale and power.

1 Like

There are plenty on here better qualified to answer this but the great thing about the Majik is it comes with the new Karousel bearing. If your dealer can do a bit of mixing and matching I’d recommend swapping the built in motor for a second hand off board one such as a Lingo (similar to @PW42). This pushes the cost up towards £4k but gives a good improvement to SQ.

However, for that money you could get a decent second hand serviced model from an approved Linn dealer. I would not recommend taking a punt on eBay and the usual forum advice about listening beforehand at a dealers applies.

I think whatever Sondek (or other) TT you choose, there are some excellent MM cart options to pair with the SN3 MM phono stage.

4 Likes

@1GiantLeap
Hi mate
You’re sitting pretty too.
No I’ve been through all the box collecting and Lego and am now completely happy.
Hope you are too S-3 as it is with no faff.
Klimax deck with Karousel and Klimax Rad 2 Kandid.
Into Kudos X3s. :+1:t2:

3 Likes