LP12 cartridge, phono and amp choices

There is a lot of wisdom in this.

1 Like

I run a XS3 with a Graham Slee Accession MM phono stage and DV10x5 cartridge. The performance is comfortably above the XS3 inbuilt stage, and a Stageline N with my previous Goldring 1042. It sounds really very good.

I suspect in time I would upgrade to a SN3 or any direct new classic replacement. My streaming setup is a Primare NP5 into Chord Hugo MK1. Streaming performance is better to my ears than a ND5 XS2, even if the convenience and UX is worse. I suspect I’ll wait until used NDX2 prices dip below the GBP3k level then look to buy one.

I have thought about the 200 series NC boxes, but I’m simply not in that league particularly given i suspect that my phono performance exceeds the built in option so I’d be also looking at the NVC. I also don’t wish to compromise streaming performance and suspect a used NDX2 into NC SN would sound better than NSC222.

I have also thought about NAC82/282 & NAP250, but I wish to avoid the complexity of that sort of setup.

A NC SN, Graham Slee Accession and NDX2 system is going to be about the GBP 9 or 10k mark, and I suspect it would be the better balance for me than a NC based system.

I think a standalone phono stage is what you should consider, given your vinyl source, rather than optimising around an amp upgrade with a good, but betterable inbuilt stage.

1 Like

Thank you @gthack very helpful, especially coming from a fellow Nait XS3 owner who appears to have asked himself many of the same questions :slight_smile:

1 Like

They might have tried different shades of grey cause it’s just a paint job.

Can’t compare a AT 33PTG II with a Krystal which is
so much more expensive.
I’ve had a Krystal and it is of course much better.
A cheaper and with the classic Linn sound
is a rebuilt Linn Troika absolutely fantastic engaging musical, and a has a tight groovy bass.

3 Likes

One more vote here for getting a used Supernait 3 first. It should be better than your XS3 at just about everything and eBay and dealers often have bargains.

Second - the NDX2 is audibly better than ND5XS2 and has a screen. You can get that used too. Another option is to get a used nDAC to support the ND5XS2. The sound would then be comparable with NDX2 for (probably) less cash, but that route means another box and still no screen.

Thitd, the SN3 MM stage is well regarded for a reason, and I would probably not spend money on a Stageline or equivalent if staying with MM. Thus, you may well upgrade amp and streamer, get a better MM, and consider your upgrades finished.

If not….

Given that you also stream, you could sensibly consider getting a s/h SN3 and then upgrading it with a used Hicap for less than EE700. It really does make a difference.

To beat an SN3 and Hicap and a good MM, I suspect you’d need to spend close to EE800 on a good MC instead of the MM - perhaps Hana or Ortofon - and also get a dedicated MC-capable phono stage.

If going that far, I am a big fan of the Dynavector P75 mark4, which can again be found on eBay - mine cost £400 (less than half the new price) and it works brilliantly with a Linn Krystal or (of course) Dynavector MCs as well as many others. While it works well with MMs too, so do several other choices (including the SN3’s internal stage and a couple of the options already mentioned by others).

In any event, we are now well above your intended budget - though well below the total cost if you start looking at the New Classic boxes.

Good luck! Please do let us know what you do and how it works out for you.

2 Likes

Like you, I’ve developed a great respect for the Naim built in phono stages - Nait 2 (not used extensively but very likeable), then SN3 and now having the Nait 50 and NSC222 at home. While I cannot compare all of them A-B directly, the SN3 sounded better to me on its own than with an external e.g. Rega phonos up to and including the Aria. I had briefly compared it to others within a similar range at the time too.

I am planning to have nothing better to do this weekend and hoping to be able to compare the N50 and 222 more carefully - need to think how to configure for best comparison, may be connect the 2 and use together switching between their phonos?

I should be able to also include the NVC TT as an external option.

I don’t know why but I have the feeling that (at least for MM) the Nait 50 might just sound good enough to win the heart and argue against extra boxes??:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Sounds like it will be a weekend well spent! :slight_smile: In any case that would be very helpful to me and possibly also to others, thank you in advance.

2 Likes

As others have said I think a Dyanvector 10x5 would be a good cartridge choice, I used one with a Rega Fono for a few years and it sounded very good and I think the Fono would be better than the internal one in the XS3.

Happy owner of an AT-OC9ML/II into a Naim Stageline S here.

My Sondek is a similar spec to yours, likewise my amps.

2 Likes

This is why I love this forum: I have received a wealth of very useful information over one night already, quite amazing.

Ok, I am taking a giant leap of faith here: Prefix K with AT 33 PTG/II it will be and all else will stay.

I’ve ordered a mint condition Prefix in the UK which will be on its way shortly. Once I included the S variety in my search there were more options. I’ve contacted the national Naim distributor Latham, who are happy to service the Prefix, with a recap and simultaneous change from S to K spec and full testing thereafter at manageable cost. It will save the money I would have otherwise spent on a new cable for the tonearm that I’m expecting to arrive also at some point.

Why is it a leap of faith? First of all converting the LP12 to Prefix will keep me in the “this is the way” world of aux2 and Hicaps, as it then can’t be hooked up to newer gear. Secondly, I’ve never heard either phono stage or cartridge, but have trust in the recommendations I’ve received here from the members involved (including our forum host even).

So why did I do it? What sealed it was contemplating all options and then finding the current setup to sound particularly sweet all of a sudden. These are the moments we do this all for, even my wife commented on the pleasantness of the sound in lack of a better word.
Secondly, I’ve read so many good comments on the cartridge in all corners of the internet. I also find its price point exactly at what I’m comfortable with now. Also the Prefix saves on an extra box in the rack and is said to be much better than a Stageline.
Thirdly, I have a general tendency of swimming upstream, and reverting to classic Naim dogma is somehow appealing now that so many new avenues have opened up.
Finally, if that feeling ever gets more hold of me then this setup will also facilitate a Troika (if I ever find one on these shores) and so many Naim amps I like will hook up to the Prefix.

Obviously it will take some time for all items to come in, be serviced and then finding their way into the system, but I will post follow-ups in due course.

As to the “more tangible” streamer part, I would say my household members are simply ignored for the time being. Perhaps when prices of used NDX2 drop considerably I might look into that again. Also it is rumoured that WiiM will come out with an “Ultra” streamer with a screen this year, which perhaps would be enough for us into the nDAC, allowing to sell off the ND5 XS2. And who knows what Naim itself will come up with this year. We’ll see.

By all means continue this discussion on some of the questions I’ve posed (like the MM stages).

9 Likes

considered lot of opinions, reviewed your options in light of new data, made a decision, acted swiftly….

Congratulations! I reckon you’ll be pleased by the outcome, but do tell us how it goes -and whether you change atreamer too.

3 Likes

Congratulations. That’s a great option…

Certainly a significant step up from StageLine.
And better than a lot of comparable phono stages GBP £1000 +.
Also, offers an opportunity to go on a journey, over time, adding HiCap, then maybe a further step up to SuperCap.

Hope this helps add to what you know…
My understanding is that a regular Naim service (for a Prefix) is likely to include :frowning:
(a) Remove and replace specific components (for example, capacitors, as you might expect).
(b) RF mod (for any Prefix K prior to s/n 194949)
(c) Upgrade grey snaic to later black version

That’s gets you upto most up-to-date (last) specification :+1:

Reference this thread…
https://community.naimaudio.com/t/prefix/17453/3

Happy listening in 2024.
R

4 Likes

It sure does and I’ve passed it on to Latham to be sure.

Thank you @ratrat, and a happy 2024 to you too!

Really excited for you. Good luck :wink:

Now that you’re moving towards putting a Prefix inside…
Have you thought about your longer term plan for all the electrical bits also inside a Majik LP12.
Maybe move the power supply out, with any version of Lingo external psu…

1 Like

Yes :slight_smile: with all this the 2024 plan for the LP12 now stands at:

• move to internal Prefix K phono
  • internal Hercules to external Lingo 4
  • Jelco arm & cable to Ittok LVIII mk2
  • MC3 Turbo cart to AT 33 PTG/II
  • depending on dealer quote possibly also Karousel
2 Likes

I think you’ve made a good decision. And I believe once again it was @Igel who supported it and has personal experience of that set up, which he currently has!

I did wonder why you were contemplating changing out XS3 if you like it. Personally, i would stick with your streamer and have a house tablet for music which you can all access. With the nDAC it should be formidable. I don’t think an NDX2 will be better and perhaps worse!

Congratulations on you purchases @daddycool

3 Likes

Well, so much new gear available, I had to re-establish I made the right choice I guess.

The golden idea, brilliant, thank you! Yes that should work better, will look into it.

2 Likes

Okay then…
Looks like an outstanding plan.
Really excited for you :+1:

2 Likes

Hope you enjoy the Prefix, smart decision! : )

Meanwhile, as mentioned, I did have an initial brief direct comparison between the phono stages of the N50 and the NSC222 - and the 222’s phono does sound a bit better to me. Not entirely a 100% direct comparison of phonos only (as the 222 preamp also likely plays a part?) and I will listen further before posting more conclusions but can say that they sound similar and are both very good indeed.

3 Likes