LP12, lid on or off?

This is what he said originally:

Believing is different from actual.

Actually he is finding better on.

…he may be wrong and needing correction, but what he says.:joy:

Why can’t people have different opinions?

Ok, he reverted his original view a few comments later, you are right. I only read the 1st and the last posts. :slight_smile:

I like an open friendly discussion - nobody needs to be ‘right’. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Peder, you have wifi on your isle? perhaps satellite ethernet ?:laughing:

1 Like

Does it have anything to do with the LIP12 with the lid on/off?
You must have had a long day?

:small_blue_diamond:@Darkebear,…No,.he is not mistaken in his perception.

But there is something wrong with his system, when he gets that result.
:black_small_square:See my post above.

He has to investigate what this is due to,.and when he has found what it is due and rectified it, he will probably get an even better soundquality.

I’ll post a photo tomorrow,that shows the importance of detail around a LP12…It’s too late at night to do it now.

/Peder🙂

perhaps better use that for protecting the turntable of airborne vibrations

2 Likes

as DB replied ( he was using the lp12 before): lid on: more details but a bit boxy sound colorations.
lid off: a cleaner sound.
So a matter of taste, probably no definitive answer.

1 Like

:small_blue_diamond:@frenchrooster,…No,.when we talk about LP12 and musicality,.there is a definite answer.

Note,.this is with an LP12 with original parts.
An LP12,.equipped with “third-party” parts can vary in many ways.

/Peder🙂

my living room has so much cat hair floating around it’s like a snow globe.

lid on.

That has been my experience with the LP12.
People like yes/no definite answers and hate ambiguity but life is not generally that way. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

:small_blue_diamond:Have you worked a lot with an LP12,and have experience with it.
Then you know,.that if you make a certain change,.so you get a certain result.

If you not achieved that,.there is something wrong in,.and…or around the LP12.
Weirder than that,.it’s not.

It’s certainly not about…
“People like yes/no definite answers and hate ambiguity but life is not gene rally that way.”

/Peder🙂

No. Lid off: cleaner, more detail.
Lid on: Distorted signal, coloured and hence less detail.

The lid does not reduce airborne vibrations, it accentuates them and trying to place something on the lid to dampen it/them, does nothing.

The wrong thing about forums is people can basically spout their ill-informed knowledge to make themselves feel important, but when challenged, just state “oh well, it’s all personal preference”.

Ivor Tiefenbrun once said to me back in the 80’s that keeping the lid on the LP12 whilst playing at volume reduced airborne vibrations on the arm and cartridge.

Richard

6 Likes

Lid on for me. The difference in SQ is minute - if I can hear any difference at all.

I loath having to clean records so the lid on is a small price to pay if I can keep the vinyl cleaner for longer.

5 Likes

I prefer Lid on and agree 100% with Ivor. (Without measurements any statement to contradict Ivor about resistance to airborne vibrations is conjecture).

In any case it is easy to try both and decide for yourself, which is best. It may be different for different listeners, there is no definitive answer as quite rightly stated by DB, FR and many others. If it sounds better then it is better as the mantra goes.

Subjective reviews and forums often try to send readers down a particular path, but I think if you are interested and it’s easy (as it is in the case) then try it and make your own mind up. You are the expert. Luckily I have a top dealer who takes care of my LP12 and his conclusion (and mine) in my specific setup was the same as @HorsesMcFaddon.

1 Like

I’ve always played with the lid off since 1978 !

Regards,

Martin

Woah! Didn’t realise this was going to get so controversial :rofl:
Just to address a few responses
Firstly I don’t feel like I’ve been “scolded” as someone suggested
Secondly I didn’t revise my opening question but did clarify it as one contributor wasn’t sure if I meant lid on and closed, well closed obviously.
Thirdly, I don’t need “correcting” either I hear what I hear.

The question was a simple one, do you listen with lid on (closed) or off, and why? I’m not looking for a “correct” answer it’s all subjective, was just interested in others subjective view/findings.

Peace n love
:joy:

2 Likes

But we are a divided country (world?) - if aliens came from beyond the Milky Way then they would see the human race is divided into lid on people and lid off people. I think the grand old Duke of York may have had the definitive answer.

Most hereon agree with you that it’s subjective (including me), but there will always be one or two who proclaim their way is the right way: the only way. Of course if you don’t believe what they believe then you need educating and they are happy to do so.

However, to start WW3 you really need a good cable thread.

So put down that lid and play something like this

I’d sooner be happy than right

1 Like