LP12 maintenance

Trampolin can be beneficial if you have to place your Sondek on a heavy high mass surface.

My platform of choice with Sondek is still the Mana without a bottom panel. :blush:

1 Like

Back on topic I drain the old oil with the deck upside down and then flush some WD40 inside and wait until it all comes out. Been doing that for years and I read somewhere Peter Swain also uses this method.

1 Like

With WD 40?

yes …

Have you tried WD40 alone? :grin:

No. Only if I see something at the bottom of the well ( possibly coagulated oil ) to resolve it. Otherwise, I see no reason to use it.

1 Like

That´s exactly what I said.

For the record,
Personally I don’t use WD-40.
I use a flushing oil. But something like a light machine oil, Singer sewing machine oil or Three-In-One oil can be used for a flush. Basically what you want to do is ensure there are no foreign particles within the bearing well as anything left in there can potentially compromise the bearing. It’s worth pointing out that you should not split the inner bearing from the bearing well unless you appropriately cover the bearing surfaces with the But even then I would Avoid doing this unless you’re shipping the deck if you’re transporting it by car please lift the inner platter and use a wedge.
Anyway having flushed the bearing well ensuring that all molybdenum and oil deposits are removed And there are absolutely no foreign particles left within the bearing well refill only using the recommended oil from Linn Products Ltd. If it’s an early bearing requires the old gold oil then there is information online regarding what you can use. Any contaminants left in the bearing well following cleaning can act just like lapping paste causing accelerated wear and deteriorating and that there are absolutely no foreign particles left within the bearing well. Refill only using the recommended oil from Linn Products Ltd. If it’s an early bearing requires the old gold oil then there is information online regarding what you can use. Any contaminants left in the bearing well following cleaning can act just like lapping paste causing accelerated wear and deteriorating sound Quality.
The picture posted by somebody above the pre-circus bearing shows massive wear and this is caused absolutely by contamination as I have 30-year-old bearings that show very little physical wear if the oil is kept clean.
I hope your above is of use to you.
Regards, Peter Swain

6 Likes

That’s extremely helpful Peter, many thanks.

I had a (pre-cirkus) bearing replaced FOC on my deck because it showed wear similar to that of kuma’s bearing. It had never been mishandled or even looked at between services. At the time my dealer admitted it can happen due to no fault of the owner.

Hi Peter. :slight_smile:

That pre-Cirkus bearing came from a Franken-Sondek so I have no way of knowing its history.

No doubt that any foreign object lodged inside the well will cause audible distortions worse than a wear on a thrust pad.

There seems to be some disagreement to how long a thrust pad can last. But I can see it might be a good idea to change it every 10+ years if it’s on a heavy use?

What is WD 40, just curious?

WD40

It’s a lubricant/degreaser. Every US house hold has one. :slight_smile:
WD-40_Smart_Straw

Cheers kuma. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

WD40 and duct tape should cure almost everything! :grin:

2 Likes

I definitely need a “man size pressure pack” for my “tight nuts”! Then my tool will “slide in and out with ease” :rofl:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.