LP12 upgrade alternatives

Yes.

One bad thing, including making a mess of suspension or cartridge alignment, can render all those eye-way wrongly expensive ‘upgrades’ a complete waste of money.

The same point may yet stop me sending my spare LP12 to the house in Tasmania. After all, the nearest person with a jig is probably in Melbourne, and I really don’t trust myself on it.

2 Likes

For the suspension to affect SQ it would need to be way off, the margin of error is quite comfortable. Those who make a living out of selling and setting up LP12s know it, but will never acknowledge for obvious reasons.

Yes I suppose it can be exaggerated like most things, but sorry to say that my final setup in 2005 was a noticeably good one. Before there were clear problems

1 Like

Wish this guy would stop bagging out great Linn dealers who know the finer points of setting up an LP12 to achieve the maximum SQ benefit

1 Like

Not you Mtuttleb - post before you

I’m not bagging out anyone, I’m telling the truth, it’s not my fault if some people feel inadequate to do simple tasks.

I don’t feel inadequate. I think it’s safe to say that if you don’t have the right tools, then it’s a non starter like most handy work jobs, but yes with the basic guides then maybe it’s possible, but I would certainly say it’s not straightforward to setup the deck from what I have seen in my own home

4 Likes

Not really. They are off by 1mm.

1 Like

I have had four Dynavectors in the ARO, and all have been perfect.

2 Likes

You may have liked them, but their alignment is not “perfect”. The Aro is designed around a 7.5mm stylus to mounting hole distance, and the XX (just to mention one of them) is 8.5mm.

They may look good on the Aro, but it’s not perfect alignment. For that, you need one of the Linn 3pt mount cartridges or a DL-103 of some kind.

There is a discussion to be had whether one needs to conform to that, and you see many people that like what they get from a range of cartridges on the Aro. I ran many different ones when I had mine, including DVs, and many worked. I’m just pointing out that the geometry is sub-optimal.

2 Likes

I have no idea whether or not the fixing of Dynavector cartridges in the ARO headshell is ‘suboptimal’.

All I would say is that all four cartridges have sounded fantastic, and I would not change for any other.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.