LP12 Upgrade from Kore / Akito 2b to Keel / Ekos SE?

That’s precisely what I like about it. You can start with a humble deck in end up near audio Nirvana, step by step. Each step is a pleasure - one discovers new things but the fundamental sonic signature remains.

3 Likes

Has anybody done a Kore to Keel upgrade ONLY at any step? How do you describe the difference?

Linn and Naim dealers are normally happy to check over and fit used parts. My local dealer has fitted used parts to my Linn turntable. The used sector is a good way to upgrade IMO.

Just a thought. Good luck with your decision!

You could always discuss with your dealer if it’s a viable option where you live.

Replying to my own post, saddo that I am :smiley:

Having now heard two 24bit needledrops, same track: one with, one without…I’m keeping my fingers x’d that my TranQ order does go through. Sounded lovely through headphones…

Hi TM,

My LP12 is also a ‘Trigger’s broom’ version - and it’s been and remains an enjoyable bit of kit.

Maybe I’m being seduced by the wonderful engineering I see in some other decks. The Naim Forum is hardly the place to discuss the psychological underpinnings of upgradeitus :grinning:

It’s just that I reflect on some VFM elements of the LP12 path when I look at other decks e.g. the Regas, SMEs & others don’t need such solutions as the Radikal box - and then we get to the Radikal casework issue which, given the cost of the base Radikal (which I have), blows my mind. I think something is being extracted from me…

Back to the Stiletto plinth (perhaps the dedicated base too) - it is very good but at such cost. I would say in an upgrade path, it ranks before maxing out the arm & cartridge combo. But (and here I go again), the fundamentals of the LP12 remain vis the Radikal et al.

Apols if this all sounds like raising disquiet (venting!) about a hallowed product/subject but this has been gnawing at me for a while. The men in white coats have just arrived…must go now.

Apols to @ClaudeP - another meandering thread.

3 Likes

Have today put an order in for Akurate Radikal, Keel and Kystal, oh and suitable Airplugs to match the Krystal to the Superline. Now I just need to find a time slot to get down to Brighton to have it all fitted. I can feel a bout of serious impatience coming on. Will be changing up from Mose, Kore, DV-XX2.

3 Likes

Not to further waylay this thread (my apologies), but I really must see about getting some Airplugs. What values did you go for @marksnaim?

Promise, my last meander!

General notice: There is no offense at all going in all directions from my thread. I wasn’t being ironic - I love watching where and how every subject in this Forum starts all sorts of discussions.

I’ll spend some time at my Hi-Fi shop tomorrow, I’ll keep you posted on results.

Claude

3 Likes

Have you asked the dealer/perhaps Linn for a different colour bulb in the Akurate.

I suspect you’re aware the blue bulbs they have used (I think they still use now?), is like a blue laser pen being directed across the room. Rather stands out from the subtle and restful Naim lights (IMV).

1 Like

I don’t think you will be disappointed…

Thank you everybody for your input.

I finally made the call and placed the order after a discussion with my retailer (Todd from Codell Audio). I’m upgrading to Keel and Ekos SE in one step. The logic is simple: the PurpleHeart deserves a better tonearm than the Akito 2b but I will only get the full benefit with a Keel installed.

HappyListener: yes, the blue beam is pretty intense but I don’t really mind as I don’t face the system and it doesn’t hit me straight in he face. In fact I kind of like it, it serves as a night light when I turn all other lights off.

Stuart: No, I don’t think I’ll be disappointed either, I can’t wait

Claude

3 Likes

Sorry @steviebee I left that to the dealer. I’ll check with him and let you know. They’ve gone up in price too from £160 to £183 which was irritating.

The Radikal is second hand so not really an option. In any case it won’t be visible from the listening position. It’s typical isn’t it. Idle trawling of the net led me to the Radikal and I end up getting that and the Keel and Krystal :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Thank you Mark.
£183? Ouch…I mistakenly had the impression they were less, like £100 max. Must’ve read old info…

Even so, I would like to try them :slight_smile:
Can you, within Forum rules of course, give me a hint as to your dealer? I’m new to Superline stuff…

Edit: I’m sure you’ll love both K&K! Loved both when I got them.

1 Like

Sorry Stevie and Mark, I’m not familiar with the presentation of the new Forum and I answered questions and comments that weren’t directed to me.

@ClaudeP
If I’m Stevie (I guess!), there’s absolutely no need to apologise Claude! I wandered in to your thread and started meandering and diverting, after all :slight_smile:

@steviebee my usual dealer is in Rayleigh, Essex but they no longer sell Linn unfortunately. This new purchase is from a dealer in Brighton. I think there’s only one :wink: Of course Cymbiosis amoungst others will be able to advise correct Superline plug values for the Krystal.

1 Like

Thanks @marksnaim…much appreciated.

Time to get on Google and the phone, methinks.

Ta.

1 Like

If you can you might like to demo the Collaro Audio
Red Mat while you are at it - if you havnt already, of course.

1 Like

In for a penny, in for a pound :grin:

1 Like