LP12s: a Replacement Thread - and Questions

Apart from my poor listening discipline/ cloth-ears and indecisiveness, what makes this whole upgrade business complicated is that I am hardly ever unhappy with the music at all.

Apart from (a) a period when my Shahininan tweeters slowly died and (b) when I had an NDX2 without the XPSDR, I have been happily listening to the music instead of missing anything - foot-tapping/ head-banging/ singing-along/ staring solemnly as required. I don’t feel at all dissatisfied with how it sounds tonight, but…

I was quite happy with my 250, but the 300DR made the same music more enjoyable.
I was quite happy with my Cirkus, but the Karousel…
I was quite happy with my Lingo 1, but a Lingo 4…
I was quite happy with my 82, but the 52…
I was quite happy (a bit further back) with my Linto, but a Superline…

You see the problem?

Also thanks for the comment on the Stiletto itself - I still don’t know what it weighs, but I also still haven’t found people who don’t think it’s the bee’s knees.

2 Likes

Bit like sealant. £10 a tube. You can do it yourself @NickofWimbledon. We have faith in you !

Leave it alone then. Job done and finished !

1 Like

In my opinion you should stick to the Linn upgrade path and aim for a Klimax. If you are trying to get the same for less then good luck. If you are trying for something different but better then talk to Mr Cymbiosis. You have a decent spec LP12 already, better than many could hope to own ever. Your enthusiasm does you credit, but now is not the time to trust your money to our opinions, talk to an expert.

2 Likes

I felt the same way about my amps, up to 252/300DR. The 300 just stopped that itch - partly because I realised that to go higher would cost a lot more than I could spend, and mainly cos I could happily, happily live with the 300DR a very long time!

Unless there’s a problem or unhappiness with the music develops, kick the ‘what ifs’ into touch.
For a while at any rate.
Or…start saving for that Statement!

Later Edit/ sorry Nick, I got carried away and forgot your thread was specifically about the Linn.

I suspect a visit to Peter would be really helpful for you to hear the differences…I’ve myself wondered about a Radikal1/2, but I’d need another rack for starters and that just ain’t happening (divorce could be expensive!)

Good luck though.
It’s great that, actual listening to music-wise, you’re really enjoying what you have.

6 Likes

I’ll take opinions here and professional advice and what my ears say - with this sort of thing, I need all the help I can get to be decisive.

1 Like

Looking back on the upgrades you have been happy with, other than the phono stage they have all been Linn. I think you know better than most of us whether following the Linn hierarchy is a good thing. Enjoy the journey. Mine is just one opinion. However, I predict at some point in the future regardless of diversions, you will end up with Klimax LP12 :grinning:

Excellent post :laughing:

As far as all the upgrades I have done, the Karousel and Radikal made the most musical impact. I have a near Klimax LP12 with a Krystal and it’s fantastic. I’d go for a Radikal first. Radikal2 if you can afford it.

1 Like

Just a quick footnote if I may. Somebody called Graham emailed me for advice last night but unfortunately the email they included on the advice request form was incorrect so I’ve had my reply bounced back this morning.
Thanks, Peter

Hi Nick this may be a stupid comment but Simon of Infidelity fitted my tv to the wall and has a wealth of experience of wall mounting. I would have thought he would know if it could be fitted to the wall and probably would do it himself if it was feasible.

1 Like

It’s been solidly bolted in place since 2004, so Simon has seen it in place several times but didn’t do the fixings (it was a diligent Polish chap when I moved house iirc).

However, I have emailed Simon - if we need to plan on removing it and putting it back into new, resin-filled holes, then he may well be able to help. Also, if you absolutely can’t put a Stiletto on a Target wall shelf like mine, he’ll probably know that too.

1 Like

If the Target shelf is like mine, the weakness is from the fixings being hidden within the rear frame i.e. they affix the rear profile only, then hidden by rubber inserts. One way around this would be to use washers with round-headed screws, which fix on the outside of the frame. Easy to do – and also paint before use.

I have no idea how much extra the Stiletto plinth weighs over the Linn. Quite a bit when you carefully lift it up. By way of reassurance my Audio-Tech shelf happily sits with the heavier plinth along with the three point supports.
So not to worry. Infidelity won’t let your LP12 fall off the wall overnight.
If you can stump up the £5K or so for the Tangerine Audio Stiletto you will not regret it.
The deck really does go to a much higher level.

1 Like

News to follow when I have some facts on SQ and practicality.

I will try comparing Stiletto to my LP12 but will aim at hearing MG-1 and perhaps WT as well.

It does look as if that Stiletto is cost-effective versus buying Karmen/ Keel/ newer cartridge - provided we actually like it and can hear any difference at all. Whether it beats the WT and Verteres remains to be seen/ heard.

1 Like

Tangerine Audio have advised that the Stilletto weighs 7.5 kg.

Hope that helps.

DG…

It helps a lot - it can’t add more than maybe 4kg to the LP12, so will definitely fit on my wall shelf.

1 Like

What’s the weight of your existing plinth and top plate?

DG…

What do Tangerine recommend as support for the Stilleto? MDF, Glass or Granite? Hope it’s not granite :wink:

I have had 6kg extra on the wall shelf with my LP12 - no incident.

If the Stiletto itself weighs 7.5kg and the equivalent for bits on my LP12 weigh only 2kg, it is adding about 5kg. That does not sound terrifying, particularly given the comments here on how to strengthen things if needed/ nervous.

The only Stilettos Ii have seen have been on Fraims or Quadraspire racks, but I don’t know what Tangerine recommend.

1 Like