LS3/5A speakers with Nait 5i

I remember when Linn’s LP12 was relatively new, Linn caused waves by suggesting that the bulk of the available spend on any system should go on the source.

That is certainly the case with my ‘mini’ system - which does sound wonderful.

1 Like

I’ve had a pair of LS3/5As for over 40 years. Used then with a Hafler DH200 for 20+ years and a 252/250 for the last 20 years. Tried many other speakers over this time but always go back to the LS3/5As.
They’re getting a little long in the tooth (“white belly”) so I’m looking to swap them out for some new Falcons.

3 Likes

Controversial opinion it seems, but the LS3/5a does in fact work in bookshelves. Maybe not as ideal as open, freestanding stands, but they do sound great in a bookshelf.

2 Likes

I have an old pair of Rogers, but wondering what “white belly” means? Ta.

Some older models like these Rogers had a circular whitish alone around the coil. It’s been explained by experts that it means nothing in terms of sound and it’s only a manufacturing sign in some units, but for those in the know they are a meaningful sub-species.

2 Likes

I had the same concerns as you mentioned with my P3ESR and Nait 50 which on paper l👀ks harder to drive than even the LS3/5A .

Works a treat

1 Like

It takes “Mini system” with LP12, Aro, Armgeddon and Falcon speakers on stands to a whole new level

That’s makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. I run mine on an Atom, and they do sound great, however the room is a little too large for them to provide enough low end energy.

2 Likes

The white belly is where the dust cap/plastiflex doping is separating from the bextrene cone. The white space behind the glue/doping is just air. It causes frequency response aberrations that appeal to far eastern collectors who swear they are the best sounding LS3/5As out there!

1 Like

Did the factory attach the black felt or foam with staples?