Lumin streamers and Naim

Hello all,
Should I be worried that Lumin and Naim have practically no historical feedback, except for one thread where the report was quite negative?
The objective to simplify box numbers (DAC, streamers, PSUs, cables) has got me looking at the Lumin D2 which appears to be a capable machine. Naim products would be nice but out of budget so am looking at other options.
In theory, I think the Lumin D2 could pair nicely with the SN2. Strange that there are very few Naimists who are running Lumin products…Lack of synergy perhaps? No home demo yet BTW…
Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions.
Brgds.

Perhaps the made in China is not so attractive? But you are right, there is a lot of Sonore, Auralic, Linn dsm, but no users of Lumin I could identify.

I thought Lumin were Korean. Personally I think you are better off with a Naim, Chord or Linn source. I wasn’t overly impressed when I heard Lumin’s top of the range streamer and the Lumin app was dreadful. My dealer used to stock them, but they didn’t sell.

I would buy a Cambridge Audio streamer, if Naim, Chord or Linn were out of budget.

2 Likes

It’s SoTM which is Korean. Lumin is HK based so Chinese. Unaware that Chord makes a streamer. Linn is more expensive than Naim and Cambridge with Naim would be heresy. The Lumin app seems to have a great reputation, but I use Roon. Guess I’ll need to home demo to hear for myself.

If we start balking at Chinese-made goods, we might as well quit everything now. Anyway, I may write a mini-review of this combo after home demo for those who might be interested.

2 Likes

I used Lumin app for a while, it ignores server side indexing in favour of its own proprietary system. Every time I added a new song it took over 5 minutes to reindex,

I use a Mac mini to stream through a Chord DAC or you can use a bridge like the ÎĽRendu, which works with Roon. The sound quality is wonderful.

Cambridge Audio makes some decent products and you get very good support with them.

Still it is only my opinion. Best thing is to audition.

1 Like

An ND5XS2 would only be slightly more expensive than a Lumin D2, at least at U.K. prices. That seems like a more natural match for your SN2.

Roger

Sorry, meant as a reply to the OP.

3 Likes

Having not heard the Lumin streamers it’s hard to comment, although for the cost of their D2 you could buy a new Naim ND5XS2 or a secondhand NDX (which is what I bought). Then again if you want to use Roon then the NDX is more limiting.

As others have said personally if I couldn’t stretch to a naim streamer a Cambridge would be my choice, it’s a very nice machine, especially for the relatively modest cost.

Jonathan

2 Likes

I just read on other thread ( sub 5 dacs) that someone preferred the nova vs the Lumin D1.

Lumin get a lot of love on Roons forum where Lumin staff also give lots of support to users. The constant dismissing of Chinese hifi on this forum is worrying to me, hifi is not all Naim, Linn and Chord. Most of you on here are in love with Apple products which are made in China. Oppo is Chinese and made sensational Blu-ray sacd players.

2 Likes

Yes, but OP is going to listen. I preferred other streamers to Lumin, but it is always difficult to know if another listener will agree with my preferences. I would, however, check out Lumin support. I guess I’m the cautious type who buys UK products because I can contact them easily if I need help. If a non-UK company has a strong presence in UK then that works for me too.

1 Like

Mine is. I like the products and get very good support from all three.

Though there is some Rega kit in the family and I do have a Sony BluRay player and Samsung TV. Cambridge Audio support is also very good and in olden days CA made iconic products.

There is strong UK presence so if it breaks it is relatively easy to get it mended. I had a Far Eastern NAS which was unreliable and is now only useful as a door stop. It is a shame that we no longer have BBC Micros, Sinclair QLs and Jupiter ACEs.

I didn’t mean to imply Lumin support was poor or I was only suggesting it is something to check out before committing. One HK company I considered buying from had such aggressive T&Cs I was put off.

Of course, one personal preference is not significant. However it’s the only one I found on the forum.
My dealer is selling Lumin ,as Cambridge and Simaudio streamers.
Lumin seems to have a good reputation, but personally, and I know it’s psychological, I am a bit reluctant to buy Chinese products.

Come on, FR - you know you want a Denafrips Terminator!

2 Likes

I have no experience of listening to LUMIN products, but I do use the LUMIN app. Indeed, it is my favourite amongst the several control points I have tried to date. It doesn’t ignore server-side indexing providing you enable folder view, which is how I use it.

Roger

1 Like

Fair enough, I didn’t look at folder view. My default method has always been Genre, Artist then Album using the metadata. J River Panel is my app of choice these days.

1 Like

I’ve heard the LUMIN D2 with several systems, Naim and other brands, and its a very good value. $2300 US—IMO beats pretty much every streamer at that price and works great with Naim gear. I owned one and enjoyed it so much I bought an A1, one of the best streamers I’ve heard in any system. I like the ND5 XS 2 better (I have it at home for a demo now) but it’s $3500 US, so it should be better than the D2!

Two big considerations with LUMIN products: No WiFi connectivity unless you add a network extender or mesh node, and no digital inputs to use as a DAC aside from a USB drive port.

Great sounding streamers.

1 Like

Here in France, the nd5xs2 costs just 500 euros more. ( 2200 and 2700 respectively for Lumin and Naim). 500 euros more but handmade in uk and with the naim sound! No hesitation for me.

1 Like

At that price I agree 100%

1 Like

Does it have to be a streamer? You can get a very good DAC for the price of the D2 and a second hand Naim DAC would cost you much less. Add an Allo DigiOne Signature (for a DAC with S/PDIF inputs) or an Allo USBridge Signature (for a DAC with USB inputs) powered by a Shanti PSU and you are done.

1 Like