Luxman

Can I ask how long you have had yours now?
Has the hum been the same since it arrived?

You would absolutely have the right to reject for a refund or have it replaced it if it is not working within spec from day 1. I would be expecting a loan unit until it is replaced by a new one, especially considering the cost and the company’s great reputation.

3 Likes

The two pin IEC is nothing to be alarmed at.
The unit is double insulated therefore doesnt require earthing.
Not unusual, even on larger appliances.
There should be a double box symbol (one inside the other) on the rear panel to certify double insulation.
Re the hum… yes… not good. You are entitled to a replacement item.

2 Likes

Yes, it has the symbol you refer too.

Absolutely. No " they all do that" (cf Chris Morris 's “Jam”). No repair. No holding onto Mr Dom’s money with no CD player.
Sale of Goods Act etc. Very disappointing but as I am wont to say things do go wrong: it is how it is dealt with that is important.

3 Likes

I got mine in January 22. I think it has always had a bit of hum, but you have to be standing very close to hear it. (Mine is also a 2 pin version)
Regards

1 Like

Thanks for confirming :grinning:

I like the idea of a loan unit. This enables me to fully test and see another unit in my system. See if it behaves correctly and also what to expect. :thinking:

1 Like

Out of interest, when your friends were evaluating the D-10X, did you notice any unit hum?

When I heard one – albeit briefly – at a dealer (I wasn’t auditioning it, I just happened to be there when it was playing) I noticed no hum. Loved what I heard of the sound though…

1 Like

Not that he mentioned, I will check.

I assume you mean through the speakers?

No, the actual unit itself.
There was nothing of issue through the speakers.
Thanks

His reply:

Totally silent both through the speakers and in the room.

2 Likes

This means nothing. The unit is double insulated and signal grounded to chassis. There is no mains earth in Japan generally on mains outlets.

I’ve actually tested a Luxman amp with and without mains earth (the amp has mains earth but Luxman supply a very high quality but non earthed mains lead) and the noise floor was much lower with no mains earth. As soon as earth was connected there were hisses and pops at low level from the speakers.

Anyway, the point is, mains earth coupled to signal is largely a design decision. Japanese gear doesn’t do it. It’s not a sign of poor quality.

2 Likes

:face_with_diagonal_mouth:

Many thanks for the clarification. It’s appreciated.

Whilst it was powered up, I decided to check out the cd mechanism.
Wow! The way the dust flap moves and then the tray opens, it’s pure joy to see and hear. Extremely smooth motion.
The tray is very solid. I looked underneath the tray whilst in the out position. It’s has metal teeth for the gearing and additional strengthening steel rods. Very solid engineering.
Closing the tray once again is just a joy to behold.
The whole thing looks as though it was put/assembled together with surgical precision!
I have to say it is a thing of beauty. Definitely a real “pride of ownership “ moment for a fully functional unit.
I wish my unit was burning in now and spinning discs :cd: :pensive: :cry:

3 Likes

It’s extremely disappointing. Luxman use EI core transformers rather than toroidal and one benefit is that they are actually very consistent when fed with less than great mains and more resistant to loud humming.

So the fact yours hums while other items is silent suggests a faulty transformer for sure. I would be very surprised if the dealer does not confirm the same problem at their side before sending it back to Luxman. It’s really not something you want in such a big ticket item. I’m sure you are gutted.

Any news from the Dealer on replacement lead time?

1 Like

I hope Luxman give it top priority and just ship a new one.

2 Likes

Thanks @feeling_zen, not asked that question yet as I think they think if it’s a simple fix it will be resolved and sent back to me.
TBH, like you say it must be a faulty transformer. As I sit now in my living room, it’s totally silent. My Burmester power amplifier with its HUGE transformer is silent :grin:
So, having slept on it last night I do NOT want this unit back.
Let’s see what the dealer says and I’ll go from there.

2 Likes