Mac Cleanup

I can only echo this. My 2012 MBP has had the disc replaced with an SSD but has only just arrived at needing a new battery. Apart from Malawarebytes I have steered clear and never needed too use any 3rd party ‘cleaner’. (and it doesn’t demand to be updated every time I turn it on…but that is a bit off topic sorry!)

macOS Catalina will be out soon. Why not create a bootable USB stick and do a clean install. Install only the apps you want to use.

In the meantime, you can use the Activity Monitor utility to see what is running and consuming resources.

1. Launch Activity Monitor, found in /Applications/Utilities/
  2. Right-click on the Dock icon and scroll up to the “Dock Icon” submenu and select one of five available options:
  • Show CPU Usage – this is a live gauge of processor activity on the Mac, each CPU core is shown as a separate bar, this is probably the most useful of the five choices (shown up top)
  • Show CPU History – this shows processor load and use graphed over time, each CPU core is shown separately
  • Show Network Usage – displays a graph of incoming (green) and outgoing (red) network traffic, this can be helpful if you’re on a sketchy internet connection or are carefully conserving bandwidth
  • Show Disk Activity – shows a live graph of disk reads (green) and writes (red) in the same format as Network Usage
  • Show Memory Usage – displays a pie chart of current RAM usage and allocation on the Mac, green is free memory, red is wired, yellow is active, and blue is inactive memory

You can also run “top -o cpu” and “top -o rsize” from a Terminal windiw to see what is consuming cpu and memory respectively.

Good luck with sorting out what is causing the problem.

Some useful info again…a couple fo things I did discover having googled Mojave problems - resetting the screensaver for some reason did seem to cure the erratic mouse problems - don’t ask me why it may just have been coincidence.

The other was several advisors saying remove Trustee Rapport - which I did and the start up time improved a lot - so although I was on the brink of using malware bytes I held off and just ran disk utility to be on the safe side.

Catalina may improve things further - thanks for the tip.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.