Mac users: Mac Mini / Studio with a NAS?

You Tube is your friend.

1 Like

Or ifixit :+1:

1 Like

I absolutely hate opening iMacs but Iā€™ve not done that for donkeyā€™s years.

An external USB 3.0/C SSD at least is unlikely to kill the iMac (even if youā€™re very careful following guides) so personally Iā€™d give the external a shot first as it will always double up as external storage if you decide to attempt the internal SSD (check the sites to ensure you can).

If looking for a newer Mac check out also Appleā€™s refurbished stock (link at bottom of their page) where you roughly save VAT or the CEX chain of stores who last time I purchased gave a 2 year warranty on used devices.

1 Like

We have many Macs. I work with my son and we have a M1 studio as the main with 64gigs of ram and 1TB SSD which is fine for 3 x 4k monitors, however he uses a M2 Mini with 16gigs of ram for Final Cut and Blackmagic DaVinci on a single 4k monitor. Fewer Thunderbolt connections.

They are both great but I wouldnā€™t settle for less than 16gb ram. For what itā€™s worth I use a 2012 at home with 8gb ram and a fitted SSD as a Roon server. Itā€™s perfect. It all depends on what you want the Mac to do.

6 Likes

think Iā€™m going down the Mac Mini route with an external display. just sold my old iMacā€¦

4 Likes

Did the same a couple of years ago Mac mini M1 chip 16gb and 512SSD in fact I bought a refurbished one direct from Apple. My monitor is a 27 inch 4K Dell which has additional USB ports very pleased with it.

2 Likes

thanks for this - really great information; I never would have known about the 256 slower memory

will follow the configurator adviceā€¦

a studio looks like complete overkill now

1 Like

A geeky Windows loving friend sent me this to open up my options for the next move

(EBay)

1 Like

You are welcome, coming from the same iMac slow hd issue you mentioned, I wanted to be sure the next Mac would be ā€˜snappyā€™ so did abit of researchā€¦ i think the higher ssd capacity is worth it for the speed advantage even if you use external storage for libraries etc.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve got a 2008 Mac Pro ā€˜cheese graterā€™ 2 x 4 core Xeon 3 GHz desktop which I got as a refurb from Apple for a couple of grand - just googling itā€™s probably not worth Ā£100 now but has at least 16TB of internal storage. Phenomenal machine at the time 14GB RAM from memory which was an odd spec - think it came with 4+2 GB and I added another 2 x 4 GB from Crucial. It ran hot enough to heat the study and used to run 24/7 as a media server in the days before streaming services took off.

Weighs a bloody ton, must resurrect it, itā€™s about 4 feet away:

The dual Optiarc CD/DVD drives were awful though.

3 Likes

That is a beast of a machine - assuming theyā€™ve used Open Core Legacy Patcher to get Sonoma running on it.

Yet another thing Iā€™ve been meaning to play with but donā€™t have the patience/time/clear head!

1 Like

My Mac mini canā€™t cope with spreadsheets and window docs open. I often have to shut down Roon just do some work.

Is it an M series Mini?

When I got the 8GB M1 Mini I realised there was no way I could run Roon and do much else with it which was contributory to me ditching Roon. Roon was using 2-3GB of memory which I thought was ridiculous. Considered (and still do) repurposing the 2012 16GB Mini running headless for Roon but with electric costs the last few years I canā€™t really justify it, though may give it a bash for Audirvana 3.5.

Yes M1. But Iā€™ve added one of those MacMini docks and a SSD for storage.

1 Like

I have a Mac Studio M2 Ultra with 128 gb ram and my wife has a Mac mini M1. I must say Iā€™m not that impressed with the new range of Macs, they give the impression of speed but really donā€™t perform that well under load, plus connecting peripherals is a nightmare as is network performance. Really considering going back to a high spec Windows PC.

Tim

what do you do that you need 128GB of RAM?? :flushed:

Video editing, sound production and a bit of artificial intelligence work.

It may be the coding but even Photoshop is a bit sluggish.

Tim

Yeah, but just think of all those new Emojis they make available to us every so often :man_facepalming: :woman_facepalming: :person_facepalming: :wink:

Precisely, one of the things that has pi??ed me off in recent years. Wow new OS weā€™ve added some new emojiā€™s but you still canā€™t connect to your NASā€¦

1 Like

Bought an adaptor to connect USB memory stick to USB C port. But my local Mac store also sell high end docking stations which allow multiple connections.

I do have a Windows gaming machine, but dislike windows ecosystem.

1 Like