MacOS Naim App

Years ago there was an app available for Mac called QuteControl, which I believe is no longer available. It was very simple in deign but allowed you to change volume, move between inputs. I still use it with my Muso and hope that when I get my Unitilite up and running it will continue to work with that.

1 Like

Ah, it’s a shame that’s no longer available (I just had a look and I couldn’t find it either).

I don’t suppose there’s a way you could make it available, is there? I’m not really familiar with how that sort of thing might work with Mac software.

Having read a bit more about it, it appears that having an iPad app be able run on Catalina is literally as simple as checking a box in Xcode (the development software).

The result is likely to look less than optimised, but should work. Which to me sounds perfectly adequate if it was made available as a beta build or with some similar kind of caveat.

In comparison with never having anything because Naim don’t have the resources to develop native desktop software for the foreseeable future, I’d be quite happy with that.

3 Likes

I don’t know the insights, but the “1 bottom solution” is the “ideal case” according to what I read.
(It depends, how “old/modern” your iPadOS App is; how it is designed, which functions, libraries, and especially UI kits it uses, …)

To make it look somewhat like a “desktop App” is definitely more work (like adjustments for menus, mouse/keybord support (context menus), multiple windows, …). But as you write - it might be worth a trial/pilot, if something runs “out of the box”. Macs must be available to perform a test, since iOS development needs a Mac. But the “click-convert-and-run” might not be as trivial, if you include effort for testing and distributing it.

Also from Naim’s point of view, supporting the customer experience on a third version of the app won’t sound very attractive as I suspect it would be a real niche market and on something they give away for free. They have plenty of work on the Android and IOS apps.

Best

David

1 Like

+1 : that would be terrific

I’m still looking for an app to run on my MacBook so I don’t have to keep grabbing my iPhone or iPad to line up the next piece of music… Maybe one day…
Or as anyone sorted a work-around? Linn app? Any others?

That’s why I like I Roon. It runs on my MacBook Pro. It’s always there, ready to go. No lag. I’ve had my NDX2 for seven months and don’t think I’ve ever used it With anything else.

1 Like

Me too. iPhone/iPad/Macbook – Roon happy to run on all 3, simultaneously!

1 Like

I’m not prepared to pay a subscription for remote control on my MacBook when the iPhone and iPad apps always work fine for me. I’d just “like” to be able to control my SuperUniti and NDX2 via my computer for convenience.

2 Likes

LOL…it’s a bit more than that, but OK, if that’s how you see it, it’s all good. I love Roon for what it gives me. The ability to use it on my MBP is secondary, FWIW.

Linn Kazoo works but you also need to install BubbleUPnP server on one of your systems. There’s a thread somewhere on the forum for how to get it to work.

1 Like

I’ll maybe check BubbleUPnP out thanks.
I still “don’t get” Roon and have never understood what it offers over what I already have;- a NAS, Naim app, Tidal, control of my streamer, music and enjoyment and multi room which all works!

Hi,

If you download n-Serve from the App Store, you will be able to run music from your MacBook.

The App is quite outdated, and the interface is a bit clunky, compared to the App on your iPad, but it will work.

Not sure whether this would apply to the SuperUniti in your second system.

I have n-Serve on my Mac already. It does not work with the SuperUniti or any other Naim streamer which normally uses the Naim app.

Ah, I see … I use my HDX as a server to my streamer, and found that I could control the HDX via n-Serve on my MacBook, though, as I say, it’s a bit clunky.

N-Serve will only control playback from the Unitiserve SPDIF output, not UPnP. It would work into the SU via a digital input.

Have you tried Audirvana? Not free but not a subscription model either.

Audirvana is listed in the Apple store as compatible only with iOS, so it appears that it wouldn’t work on a Mac. However, I haven’t tried it.

I use audirvana on both Macs which lets me control my n272 from anywhere in the house; asset files or Qobuz. No multi room but that isn’t a deal breaker for me.