Madness? Trade in TT2 for NDX2

How do people find the ND5xs2 as a transport?

You should look at the innuos line for streaming/ripping and roon core (if that is your thing). They have several tiers to choose from

From all accounts it’s very good, and possibly not much different from the NDX2 and ND555 as transport.(digital signal output)

Bit of an overkill as a pure transport.

Not really

Thank you.

I had great support from a dealer (Alastair at Signals) who I first approached about a used 282 they had up, which then evolved to me trading a week-old SN3 (Which I knew I was going to upgrade in a year’s time) against that 282 and a new 250DR; I already had a HiCap for the SN3. The 282/250DR was a ‘blind purchase’ but it is the default ‘classic’ option so low risk. That then led to a home demo of the NDX2, Qutest and H2, amongst the TT2; my old streamer had already gone. Combining the TT2 + NDX2 would have only just been possible financially, and there would have been no budget left for power supply upgrades.

I had a slight advantage in evaluating the streamer as I had a ND5XS2 for a year, mostly with the TT2. I nearly did buy a ND5XS2 again if I’m honest - but I like having a remote, the screen, and the upgradability, although I am very used to the iPad / phone for the Naim app or roon.

Regarding the speakers I have also just bought ;“The Dog’s Brigadiers” I know one of the UK retailers well, and although I did not buy from him I got a good honest opinion on those beforehand.

So medium-risk - given that Naim system synergy is well known (And I have an Atom & Qb2 as a reference, and the SN3 was good too), I bought at sensible prices, and returns are possible on s/h so long as you agree before the deal.

I have just in the last few days got a further uplift from the NDX2 - switching to wifi off a Unifi AP, fed ‘PoE’, and today applying a Naim DC-1 interconnect for NDX2/Hugo2.

Thanks Scotsman, just doing that very thing now. I don’t tend to play local files that much so not considered Innuos before. I need internet streaming, things like airplay (tv streaming), Qobuz and internet radio also WiFi (although a bridge may be doable) how’s the Innuos on this side.

Nice…

I use it as a roon core. So I am running my Tidal (it does Qobuz as well) and local network saves. It is not the best option for internet radio and airplay - as it does not offer those options. The TT2 does have BT compatibility though.

I’d be interested in your experience of the NDX2 in its own versus into the TT2. I’m guessing TT2 ‘better’ otherwise you wouldn’t be using it? Could you articulate the sound differences between the two?

Nope - ideal as a transport, but the DAC is redundant unfortunately.

I have had the RaspberryPi, Allo DigiOne then Signature, & opticalRendu in succession after my ND5XS2 had to be sold just over a year ago , and it is with relief I have gone back to a naim streamer.

The ‘DIY’ configuration (I am in corporate IT for a profession), and the proliferation of accessories (upgraded power supplies, USB/SPDIF converters, reclockers (Mutec 3+ USB was in my rack for a while)) is untidy and becomes expensive - my changed viewpoint is to let Naim, Auralic, Lumin, DCS etc. handle the systems integration.

Of course it would be ideal if Naim produced a streamer(bridge) without a DAC - there are lot of people on here who would consider that option - to front-end the older naim streamers, the nDAC or other DACs of course.

4 Likes

An ex-demo XPS-DR arrives tomorrow, on a sale-or-return, from Essex this time.

1 Like

Yes, I’d buy that in a heart beat.

3 Likes

I enjoyed the ND5XS2 with firstly a Hugo2, then the H2 with a MSclaer, and then a TT2 (bare) for a long time. It replaced a Linn Majik DS/2 (with PS upgrade) which was a good device, but a generation old in terms of usability & features.

It was a shame I had to sell most of my system 12-15 months ago, but fortunately I have been able to start rebuilding (I have had music throughout, the main thing actually) - with more knowledge this time from personal experience, from interactions with professional dealers & distributors and from this forum.

1 Like

Well if you are prepared to pay what £5k just for the streaming board and a screen, that might freeze from time to time lol then i would certainly try a dCS network bridge, much better option in my view, on all things, sound, options, etc, not much it can’t do.
But lots of much cheaper ways to go, but i feel the NDX2 is probably one of the worse ways to spend £5k for what you want from it

The NDX2/TT2 combination was definitely better than NDX2/H2 via headphones.

Using the TT2 as a DAC into other non-Naim pre-amps (or as a pre-amp on it’s own into poweramps), or into the SN3 (integrated) gave excellent quality, sonic range, soundstage.

I did get good results with a Sonore OpticalRendu into the TT2, but I was concerned about the oR’s durability (it runs very hot) and it had to be rebooted if left overnight due to a software/firmware glitch in it’s interaction with the TT2. So it went back, and that opened up the field for a naim streamer again.

I found that the NDX2/TT2 into the 282 / 250DR wasn’t quite right - the combination couldn’t handle complex passages of music very well, although excellent with simpler guitar/vocal music, whereas the Qutest or Hugo2 fed from the NDX2 to 282 was more precise, but not too clinical because of the 282 ‘voicing’.

The NDX2 is a year old, and I assumed it would be ‘burnt in’ on it’s own DAC/analogue circuits, but 3 weeks of continual use (switching between H2 and internal) have ‘opened out’ the NDX2 - this combined with my other changes, including a Supercap2 and improved wifi / interconnect - so not all the same. The NDX2 has always been connected by me with a Powerline, and the Supercap/250DR are on a two-headed Grahams Hydra (pendng change here).

Today, having heard both again in succession, I would say the internal DAC lacks some precision - notable on locally streamed music, less so with FLAC Radio Paradise. Without the available comparison I would probably be content with the NDX2, my other use cases for the Hugo2 are with occasional headphones and I will buy a ‘2Go’ for it once Chord sort it out, and when I have to travel for work again post-lockdown.

CAVEAT: My room, my overall system, my ears (63 y/o)

2 Likes

Yes, Alastair is excellent to deal with.

1 Like

Hi Dunc. Think there seems to be some confusion here. I’m not looking to purchase an NDX2 as just a transport, I would sell the TT2 and Bluesound to fund it. What I’m trying to determine is whether the NDX2 using its internal dac is ‘better’ than my TT2 plus an updated transport such as Auralic Aries G1, the new Arcam ST60 or perhaps an ND5Xs2 (but I wouldn’t have a screen). Hope I’ve been a bit clearer?

I don’t mind the occasional reboot, and I didn’t drop £5k on it, somewhat less and from a reputable dealer & with a years warranty. Probably better than buying one ex-works and hence not run in. No screen freeezes so far, despite lots of configuration changes. If I were in for £12k plus I would have gone for the Bartok so I am not ‘brand-blind’ to Naim. The consistency of proven compatibility is worth a lot after 3 years of multi-brand component solutions.

I had a full TAG McLaren system, including CDT20R/AV32R DP BYP, for a long time before moving into the streaming world, and now full-naim (with still some TMA gear working daily in the kitchen).

I considered the DCS network bridge 18 months ago and was advised by a genine knowledgable dealer (of DcS, Naim, Linn, Auralic etc.) that DcS only produce it to enable existing users of DcS DACs to move forward into streaming updates, without re-investing in say a Bartok or more - which is in keeping with DcS philosopy of upgradeability.

I use multiroom all day when working in my home office & moving around the house - and the NDX2 interacts very well with my Atom and Qb2 - better than the roon streams in fact (true story !). So the much maligned Naim app works very well in this situation, while roon has other functional and UI benefits (less so for me with 1.8, but that’s another thread)

1 Like

If it was me @Maccaboy10 i would keep it simple and get the NDX2 with your required screen and use it both as a transport and dac. I believe the SQ differences vs Chord Dacs may be a matter of taste. You can upgrade down the road with an external PS if you want.

2 Likes