Mains extension blocks

I use a Wireworld Matrix 2 with Naim Powerlines and its by the far the best solution (next to having new sockets in the wall). No filtering or surge protection though, so just don’t leave it if going on holiday or thunderstorms!

1 Like

I tried the AM radio test a few days ago and listened to test match special. It certainly seemed to bring a big improvement all round as we won that test comfortably having been clattered in the first two. Good tip!

1 Like

I do the same as Nigel, also use a powerline for the wire world block.

I have two tachima filtering blocks on my setup one that feeds the Atom, Arcam cd and AV amp, the other is feeding my TT and phono amp.

I removed them today to test as recommended on here not to use them. I preferred the sound with them over just regular blocks I had to hand, it was more detailed and rounded over all. So back in they went.

I thought so too…

? hmmm ? I’d like to see an inside of the plug closeup, what is the cable clamp doing & have the cables outer sleeves been cut back. But no need, I can go in close enough & can just see the exposed L N & E colours, so no cable clamp - very dodgy.

1 Like

What makes you think the Rega TT PS is a SMPS?
The wall wart is just a transformer that outputs 24 volts AC for the TT PS box.

Mike

I liked that fact that Naim were using plastic surface sockets screwed to a plank on their rig at the Bristol show.

That’s my idea of a sensible distribution block, (I use something similar at home).

1 Like

Me too

1 Like

Doesn’t surprise me. Naim did that years ago. Hydras are garbage.

1275935422_FI-E30%20_R_%20B1_w450_h400 [quote=“Roog, post:332, topic:353, full:true”]
I liked that fact that Naim were using plastic surface sockets screwed to a plank on their rig at the Bristol show.

That’s my idea of a sensible distribution block, (I use something similar at home).
[/quote]

:small_blue_diamond: Roog,…This plastic surface sockets can be really expensive :wink:.

But I agree with you,…I like the idea.

In fact,…I build my own powerstrip with such contacts as you see in the picture.
This contacts is from Furutech.

/Peder :slightly_smiling_face:

I noticed that Russ Andrews uses a single socket made by ‘Berker’ These can be panel mounted in your chosen orientation. I quite like the look of them, but Im not so keen on making the big round holes, seems like a lot of work when a bunch of surface mount MK sockets are likely to be good too.

Choice of cover plates look nice, colour combination quite Naim like?
Available from ‘Furneaux Riddall’

Why are they?
(and if they are ‘garbage’, why does our Leader - the Great Dane - rate them as being good after a lifetime’s Naim experience?)

Jim, it’s just opinion, nothing more. While “garbage” is perhaps somewhat extreme, I’m sure it’s easily possible to make a Hydra that fits the description!

For my own part, my experience relates to in-house Naim-made Hydras vs. the old standard mains leads plugged into sockets or an extension block. We preferred the Hydra - and it’s what Naim used to use them both in their demo room and at shows, events etc… The problem of course is that to make a Hydra as a commercial product is rather difficult, particularly with some of the little tweaks that were applied to the plug housing and pins. One or two dealer made them up for sale to customers, and of course, Music Line came up with the Powerigel using Naim mains lead cable in a rather fancy sprung aluminium cylinder case.

And then the development began on the Powerline, which incorporated some of the tweaks in a form that would pass safety standards, and of course went much, much further. With the introduction of the Powerline, Naim decided to change tack and built up a mains block to accommodate them. Music Line preffered to upgrade their Powerigel to the Powerigel plus, using Powerline cabling and connectors. I’ve not had a chance to compare the two, so couldn’t say which I prefer.

2 Likes

i wonder what it was specifically in the Powerline that made Naim change tack and build a mains block for inhouse use. Mechanical issues? Eddy currents?

enjoy/ken

Ken, I couldn’t say for certain, but possibly mechanical, as each would then benefit from the individual coupling afforded by the mains plugs as well as the IECs.

That photo is what I took at this year’s Bristol show. I did a quick snap at the time and didn’t notice that PowerLine Lite (my eyes aren’t their best), it’s only when I got home and looked on my laptop did I notice it.

I spotted the ‘Naim’ DIY power block while we were waiting for the 1st demo to start, it made me smile. I rate MK plugs and sockets so the idea of a DIY power block made from respected components makes perfect sense to me, like others I’m sure, i’ve been making these for years, it was nice to see a market leader do it too!

Jim,
Good question. We all have our own opinions and when asking for advice, you have to make your own choice who’s advice you listen to. The best mains distribution is individual leads going from each box to it’s own unswitched socket. I rang Naim many years ago more than a couple of times (Richard being one of the contacts spoken to) and multiple wall sockets was advised every time as the best. Other methods are a compromise and some methods are more of a compromise than others. Naim may have had a period where they liked a hydra, but that passed and the Powerlines show where their belief lies. After all the research they did, if they found that a hydra method worked, they would surely have produced that as an expensive option. Even so, who says Naim are leaders in the research of the mains supply? They are a hifi equipment manufacturer and produce boxes that sound best in an average household, so tailor the sound to that (P.S. that’s why you shouldn’t insert silver fuses within your mains supply).

Powerigel have done the hydra to a very high standard and then further developed it with Powerlines. Still after all these years, neither is popular.

I tried a few different hydra methods (incl Powerigel) and found they all had the same trait … and I wanted them to work. This was with standard Naim leads, not built by me, but by a Naim dealer. The old ‘plug two leads into one plug’ method, which was popular around 1990, doesn’t and never did work well either.

4 Likes

Thanks - that’s very informative - and also gives lots of detail about your experience, which I can learn from.
I have wasted quite a lot of time and energy recently trying out cables, and got nowhere, so don’t want to head down any more blind alleys at the moment.
Anyway, thanks to promting from James N. I cleared the 2 wall sockets and plugged my 2 Naim boxes into them and they sound fab (plus finally spiked my rack and speakers into the carpet today, which made a big improvement to the solidity of the sound).
cheers
Jim

1 Like