Mains interference?

Just an FYI the noise you’re hearing is RFI…Radio Frequency Interference. Do you live in a single family home or an Apartment ? Are any of your interconnects or power cords Un-Shielded? Do you live near an airport or any radio towers?

1 Like

I live near the twin broadcast TV towers at crystal palace south london
No interference today
Intermittent problems are the worst
Sounds soooo good when it’s like this
I’m in a semi detached house
New build, no mains filter

Is it only naim that is sensitive to RFI?

Do naim get cheeky after first year?
Maybe it’s parts only for five years
And I have to pay labour?

Ohh I wonder if it is the fridge ,dishwasher ,washing machine ??

No, any amp can be affected by RFI

It’s not clear if it’s RF related, mains related, or just a fault with the amp. If you’re not able to find the source of the noise yourself, i’d suggest getting the dealer round with another XS2 and see if the problem goes away. If not then it’s something external to the amp and further investigation will be needed.

1 Like

@dmk1198 So based on what you told us here’s my suggestions. First off I’d add a Mains Filter… seems that a lot of folks here like the IsoTek… EVO3 AQUARIUS seems to be popular. Next living where you do, I’d make sure all my interconnects are shielded, especially ones like phono cables that carry very low level signals, but all interconnects act as antenna to some extent, and unshielded are the worst. And lastly speaker cables some are worse than others. Most speaker cables are unshielded and some are much worse with RFI than others. I’m not sure about the Naim speaker cables… But their design does bother me since it has no inherent design to help reject RFI… Good Luck hope I helped. I’m sure you’ll get lots more helpful hints LOL

1 Like

@dmk1198 I’m sure it’s parts and labor. Just check either your owners manual or Naim’s web site.But i’d be very surprised if it’s not Parts and Labor for the term.

1 Like

That’s all stuff that may help, but it’s always best to try and diagnose the issue, and identify the cause, before you try to spend your way out of the problem. If the amp, or the mains supply, is faulty, they need to be fixed.

2 Likes

@ChrisSU the cause is the op is getting RFI break through because he lives down the road from a Radio Tower.

You seem convinced its RFI but why is it not a constant problem rather than intermittent as the OP reports. I’d suggest as i did above and Chris has also suggested that the source is found and dealt with rather than guessing and going off down the wrong street.

Maybe you fellows could try coming up with better ideas than having your dealer come by with another amp. The op hears BREAK THROUGH, And lives down the road from broadcast towers. Duh…

Well over to you to solve it then Rick. Duh indeed…

Did that already… But no problem I don’t mind repeating myself for the older members hear :slight_smile:

So based on what you told us here’s my suggestions. First off I’d add a Mains Filter… seems that a lot of folks here like the IsoTek… EVO3 AQUARIUS seems to be popular. Next living where you do, I’d make sure all my interconnects are shielded, especially ones like phono cables that carry very low level signals, but all interconnects act as antenna to some extent, and unshielded are the worst. And lastly speaker cables some are worse than others. Most speaker cables are unshielded and some are much worse with RFI than others. I’m not sure about the Naim speaker cables… But their design does bother me since it has no inherent design to help reject RFI… Good Luck, hope I helped. I’m sure you’ll get lots more helpful hints LOL

Oh and if you have your speaker cables coiled up neatly un-coil and have them randomly arranged…The coiled cables can also act as loop antenna…

1 Like

I used to live in South Norwood, just down the the road from Crystal Palace. I never had an issue with RFI but got a good radio signal! Crackling doesn’t sound like RFI to me. I’d try to borrow an amp from your dealer and see if the problem goes away. If it does, then get the amp looked at under warranty.

Just to add thnx
Never had this on any of my four AV amps from Denon Yamaha arcam and marantz
No turntable input used
Only one input used
I think we so near TV towers signal goes over us! Or it’s to strong
We have to either downgrade the signal or use booster depended on weather

IsoTek… EVO3 AQUARIUS

£1595! Lol I can’t justify that on amp that cost £1000
That’s a months salary
I’m a postman with five kids lol
Gotta draw the line somewhere

Didn’t realize it cost that much. The dollar pounds thing trips me up all the time

You can try an Iso-Tek Sirius or Polaris power board/filter for a lot less that will remove most mains noise. I have the former on my SN2 and the later on a Nova with great success. You should be able to borrow a main noise meter from your dealer to see if main noise is the problem and take it from there.