Managing meta data with Asset and QNAP

Well after all that fuss I was able to edit the tag in Bliss and the problem is resolved.

I bought dbpoweramp but I only saw a mac or windows version and bought the mac version. Not sure how I would use this to edit tags for files on my QNAP.

So where are these tags physically located? Are they files that can be accessed somewhere? It would be nice to be able to look at them in a text file similar to what Asset uses for their configs.

Edit - does anyone else notice their browser tab flashing intermittently when you have the asset status page open? It does it in Firefox and Chrome. Does that mean something or is it normal?

The Asset page flashing is it automatically refreshing, nothing to worry about.

Tags are located within the music file itself. They are not contained in a separate text file.

To edit the tags on Windows using dbPoweramp all you to is right-click on the file and choose the Edit ID tag option. I expect you do similar on a Mac.

Then you can edit the tags in the windows that pops up.

Note: You can select multiple files and then choose edit too. This is useful when you need to set the same value for all files for an album, e.g. when setting the Genre.

Thanks. It looks like Iā€™ll have to stick with Bliss for the files on my QNAP and I can use dbpoweramp for editing tags on CDs I rip in the future. Unless thereā€™s a way for me to see the files on my QNAP from a finder window on my Mac.

There is clearly a way. I do that happily on my PC and the functionality must be the same for Mac. Itā€™s just a case of navigating to the files on your nas and then right clicking.

Youā€™re right, I can see the NAS in my network window and get prompted for a login as a guest or registered user. Now I just need to figure out how to set up the login.

Edit - well went into the control panel of the QNAP and created a user for my MBPro and voila I was able to get in.

And when I select tracks I can see the edit tags with dB Poweramp option.

It looks like Iā€™m in business. Thanks for all your help HH and everyone else.

Hurrah! Itā€™s easy once youā€™ve muddled your way through. Just remember - tidy metadata is happy metadata!!

1 Like

I donā€™t know if Asset is the same but with Minimserver the metadata is case sensitive so Siouxsie and the Banshees is a different artist to Siouxsie And The Banshees. That could be significant depending on what ripping software you use or where you download files from.

I have a Mac and QNAP and this is exactly how I use them, though I didnā€™t need to set up a new user on the QNAP. When I download or rip (with dB P) an album, first thing, I edit the metadata in the downloads folder. For that I use the Metadatics app as I find its spreadsheet-like format particularly friendly and it helps me keep the metadata consistent across albums. I then copy the folder across to the appropriate folder on my QNAP. I also have the same info on an external hard drive so I make a second copy to that. On the rare occasions I need to edit the metadata subsequently, I can open the files directly in the QNAP as you have done. I have worked this way for a few years now.

Roger

Pretty much the same for me. I use a Synology NAS rather than QNAP. I use dbpoweramp on my Mac to rip the odd CD but mostly itā€™s downloads that come with new vinyl these days. I fix the metadata and artwork with metadatics then move the files to the NAS.

Metadatics has a series of text manipulation functions including one which will capitalise all words in a tag and another which will do the same but ignoring small words such as ā€˜andā€™. I think itā€™s called ā€œConvert to Title Caseā€.

Roger

Yeah, I realized after I didnā€™t need to set up a user. I used QFinder Pro to mount a network drive so I can just go in there from the Finder window now. I can edit existing tags pretty easy this way. I donā€™t burn or rip many CDs as I have most of what I want in my library currently but if I do Iā€™ll use dBpoweramp and see if I like it.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.