Manfred Eicher And ECM's amazing recordings

The sacd layer is a different more recent mastering and one day I will rip it. Otherwise I just wanted to own it…

3 Likes

Some upcoming ECM’s…and Anja and Francois named theirs after me :slight_smile: …I saw them play it in concert last year and it sure is beautiful music. Keith is the second concert to be released from his 2016 European Tour - he liked this show a lot. And the Elina Duni/Rob Luft outing should be special as they are truly wonderful musicians. Dino at aged 85 delivers a new solo recording.

4 Likes

Any idea when they’re going to be released.?I’m already drooling at the prospect of the Saluzzi…

I listened to a track from the Jarrett LP on Tidal this morning…

Hi, yes.

Anja Lechner/Francois Couturier Lontano - Oct 16
Keith Jarrett Budapest Concert - Oct 30
Dino Saluzzi Albores - Nov 6
Elina Duni/Rob Luft Lost Ships - Nov 13

3 Likes

I keep listening again and again to the Jarrett, Peacock, DeJohnette LP Inside Out.

Brilliant improvised music ranging across the landscape of jazz, played by all time masters of the art, who decided to open up and let it go that night.

It keeps growing and growing as I play it.

2 Likes

I was at one of the shows that make up this album. Was surprised when we did not get an evening of standards.

Yes, you mentioned that above.

That’s a nice surprise.

Ah did i! Actually it was a disappointment at the time…definitely least favourite of my standards trio concert outings…

Was disappointment the overall reaction of the crowd that night?

Or did the performance get a strong response?

Was that the first time those tracks were played in public??

Do you know whether they played the tracks from that LP often in concerts after that?

These are one-off improvised events - they make it up as they go along never to be repeated in concert.

As for audience response, Jarrett will always get an enthusiastic response so I can’t really remember the subtlety of reception that night. I remember the lecture on the “bass sounds different in the hall to how it will on record” from Keith.

As for personal experience I saw them the year before in Paris and that was mind blowingly beautiful - you can listen to that show as it was put out under the title “Whisper Not” and is one of Jarrett’s strongest trio releases. That was what I was hoping for more of at the time. Saw the trio a further 3 times after Inside Out and it was standards every time and always stunning.

2 Likes

Groovin High is a great track!

2 Likes

Thanks for the head’s up!

I’m enjoying all three of these:

Anja Lechner/Francois Couturier Lontano - Oct 16
Dino Saluzzi Albores - Nov 6
Elina Duni/Rob Luft Lost Ships - Nov 13

The last of the three a lovely surprise!

2 Likes

Cool! If, when life returns to more normality, you can get to see Elina live, it is something very special.

2 Likes

Email received today fyi:

Dear friends of ECM,

Today we release two new albums on ECM and ECM New Series:

‘Lost Ships’ by Elina Duni presents the singer in a new quartet with Rob Luft on guitar, Matthieu Michel on flugelhorn and Fred Thomas on drums.

Estonian composer Erkki-Sven Tüür presents his chamber music compositions in a premier recording with the German-based Signum Quartett, Harry Traksmann on violin, Leho Karin on violoncello and
Marrit Gerretz-Traksmann on piano.

To celebrate the release of these two albums, we would like to offer you a selection of Elina Duni and Erkki-Sven Tüür albums, as well as ECM vocal recordings at a reduced price in this week’s special offer.

Enjoy.

ECM Records

Hi Lontano

Are you able to say what musical reproduction equipment ECM uses to review and evaluate tracks?

Is it whatever monitors and amps are used in each recording studio that is used?

Can you say what is used at the ECM head offices listening rooms, or is that a trade secret?

Thanks
Jim

Jim, I think fair to say that the serious listening will be done in the studio. ECM record almost all albums in 2/3 days including mixing the final product in the studio, then Manfred moves onto the next project.

There is no big elaborate listening room at ECM HQ. When I was there I listened to the upcoming Yonathan Avishai album on a stacked entry/mid range separates system that was piled on top of the filing cabinet in one of the offices. Manfred has a similar set up in his office - speakers and some separates on the filing cabinets in front of his desk. You can actually see the set up in the ECM Film Sounds and Silence which is well worth watching at 10 minutes, 40 seconds…

3 Likes

It must be useful for a producer to sense check how recordings sound on average systems.

I would imagine that Manfred would love to hear his music through a really well set up Naim system!

Mrs. JimDog and I enjoyed the ECM Film Sounds and Silence - we rented it from Apple Films a few months ago.

Rainbow Studio ECM in Oslo. I see BW speakers and Classé electronics

2 Likes

Yup - they could do a lot better than that!

2 Likes