Manfred Eicher And ECM's amazing recordings

Just came across the track The Void by Mats Eilertsen on the ecm LP And Then Comes the Night.

Wonderful Moody and serene and mysterious atmosphere.

1 Like

ECM Special rare Vinyl gems

Dear listeners,

For this week’s special offer, we dug deep in our vault and discovered original vinyl copies of great albums from the 1980s. These albums were hidden away in our storage facility and have been unavailable for over 30 years.
Please note that these records have never been played and the vinyl is in mint condition.
However, the sleeves are not sealed and have slight marks on the cover and signs of aging.
Between five and 35 copies of each album are available.
Once they’re gone, they’re gone, so this may be your final chance to get a hold of rare gems from the ECM catalogue.

Best wishes,

ECM Records

1 Like

I had no idea Tabula Rasa had been around for that long. I was listening just a couple of nights ago and I must have bought it just 3 or 4 years ago. Fabulous work.

When I saw your reply I doubted my memory for a moment, but it’s a 1984 release. I think I bought my copy in 1985, it’s one of my most cherished records.

1 Like

Thanks for pointing that one out!

It’s a lovely soundscape.

We just watched half of the documentary Sounds and Silence.

Gives a few peeks into the world of Eicher.

Although you can actually get similar insights from the good quality short videos on the ECM YouTube channel.

1 Like

I am without my system actually, waiting for my pre on service. So I am enjoying concerts on YouTube. There are a lot of Mezzo Hd full jazz concerts on YouTube, I am discovering some groups.

A lot of ECM artists too, with a good quality of sound. ( Montreux, Marciac, Vienne, Nice…jazz festivals)

1 Like

Does your TV play through your hifi?

No, only on tv.

Have you heard the track Slow Spin by Jon Balke?

From the lovely ecm LP Warp.

1 Like

Love the whole album. Many thanks for the recommendation!

1 Like

Was listening to this last night. Recorded live in 2006 but just released in 2018, it seems to have received mixed reviews from the critics but I think it’s utterly brilliant

1 Like

Thanks for the tip - I’ll give it a spin.

I can understand why it might be a bit “Marmite”, especially if listening to samples and not feeling the flow of the concert. I must admit, when I was 5 minutes in for the first time I was wondering what was going on but the more I listen, the more I love it. He sounds to be having so much fun…

1 Like

Lovely concert. Friend of mine was asked to take the cover pictures for this one. I went to La Fenice last year for the ECM 50th celebrations - a wonderful hall…

3 Likes

The 50th celebrations at La Fenice must have been quite something - not envious at all…!!!

Thanks Elfer - it was very special and I spent time with Manfred and got to sit in the royal box with him and some others…then I did the ECM50 in Brussels which was even better event…

3 Likes

Elfer

Thank you so much for this suggestion.

After decades of not listening to my CD of the Koln concert, I finally see what Keith Jarrett can do.

1 Like

I also like La Fenice.

At the moment, I’m very much enjoying John Balke’s Discourses:

Perfect title!

3 Likes

Another “Amazing ECM Recording” of Keith Jarrett and with Charlie Haden’s double-bass what’s not to like! Very different in style and ambience from the concert at La Fenice, this was recorded at Jarrett’s home studio with the intention that the recording sounds exactly like what they were hearing. In the sleeve notes Keith says he hopes it can be heard on a good system as “there are nuances abounding”…

6 Likes