Manfred Eicher And ECM's amazing recordings

Hey - thanks Lontano
That’s super helpful.
I only know a few of those.
Really looking forward to delving into that list.
Should keep me off the streets for a month or two!
cheers
Jim

Once you have checked them out and know what you like, just keep connecting the dots cross the collection to explore further…

1 Like

A few I’d suggest:

Jon Balke’s Warp (Adrian told it me it was one of his favourites)
John Taylor’s Rosslyn
Manu Katché’s Neighbourhood (very accessible and a good pathway to other ECMs)
François Couturier’s Tarkovsky Quartet (this includes the wonderful cellist Anja Lechner, who is Manfred Eicher’s partner). I’m listening to this one right now.

3 Likes

the first ecm album i bought : making music, with garbarek, john mc laughlin, zakir hussein…( 1989)

1 Like

Would add Tarkovsky Quartet too especially Nuit Blanche. Try Marcin Wasilewski Trio, Tomasz Stanko - Lontano (yes I used it for my forum name), Suspended Night, Soul of things and others. Enrico Rava - Easy Living, Arve Henriksen cartography. Try some Steve Tibbetts.Shinya Fukimori - For 2 Akis. Shai Maestro - The dream Thief. The Colin Vallon Trio albums.

3 Likes

I have all of those and yes, they are all good.

1 Like

Excellent - thanks chaps - I can’t wait to get home and get the music on!
My wife’s out tonight so I can crack into a bottle of wine and get listening (within the parameters of childcare!).

1 Like

Ah - yes, I have listened to works by Anja Lechner where she plays the music of Gurdjieff.
Really haunting and touching music.

Do you own these as cds or hi res downloads, or a mix?

Some and some. The high res versions are getting awfully expensive at about £19 each.

Jim - I own all the cd releases including the ones that were Japan only releases (mostly out of print now).

Then I have all the ones that got a vinyl only release (early catalogue and japo).

Then I have a lot on both vinyl and cd.

I also have some on hires download.

This year Ecm released 40 albums into the digital domain (hi res) that had previously only been available on vinyl so I got them too.

Then I have all the compilations, the books, dvds, t shirts, posters and lots of promos.

Over 1800 Items

2 Likes

That is a treasure trove of music.

Which format generally sounds best?

I realize that the answer depends on specific system details, but wonder which one to chase as I build an owned collection?

Or should I just stick to streaming and invest in kit instead?

1 Like

For me if I had to chose I would own the cds. They sound superb as the production values are first rate.

Ecm is also about the artwork too and the packaging is both excellent and informative.

I am not a streaming supporter - Ecm are small they need a real income to keep it going.

3 Likes

I get mine as downloads from Qobuz or High Res Audio, but don’t subscribe to a streaming service.

1 Like

Which is a good option too and the label earn an income. Do you get the pdf of the cover?

Yes, you can get the cover and notes if you wish.

My Ecm album of the day is Shinya Fukumori Trio - For 2 Akis - beautiful melancholy music.

Was lucky to see Shinya play his first ever U.K. gig last night in London. A really talented drummer

3 Likes

a review on Manfred Eicher, in the last. Stereophile magazine.

From the review in Stereophile, i read that Keith Jarret made 80 albums of the 1600 from the whole catalog.
Miles wanted to make a duo album with Jarret. But finally it could not have been done because of the contract of Miles with Columbia.

There was a very short bit of that documentary I watched last night (The Miles Davis Story) where they interviewed Jarrett, IIRC, and maybe showed a brief clip of them playing together…?