Marble, slate, granite, MDF or other material slabs under speakers?

wow

are the coins and washers just stacked loose?
not glued together?

just pinned/pressed together by the weight of the speakers?

Cork or hardwood cups - yes, they’d be worth a try.

I have a whole page of short notes now on the sound of different base materials.

Yes just stacked loose and the speaker weight holds them in place, I will try bonding them together though. My floor is reclaimed pitch pine boards over timber joists, the joists are suspended on RSJ’s so it’s all very rigid but there’s still a big floor cavity that potentially resonates a lot at lower frequencies. I might try some marble or granite slabs along with the tap washer sandwich and see how that goes!

1 Like

It’s to give a softer sound vs directly to the slab.
Worth a try, as it costs nothing.

1 Like

Hi JimDog,
would it be possible to share your notes?
I will need to craft a base for my DBLs on a suspended wood floor and am thinking of what materials and isolation feet to use.
Thanks!
Stefano

Let me know when you have this as I may not leave it here permanently.

Notes were not designed for public consumption.

got it .
Thanks ! :pray:

In my first house I had a suspended wooden floor with Linn Kans on Sound Organization stands. These stands were balanced on coach bolts screwed into the floor joists. I played around with concrete and marble blocks, but the bolts worked best.
I then graduated to SBLs with Mana speaker bases. By then I was renting again so I could not use bolts, and the Mana stands had MDF. If I recall I used pennies beneath the spikes to protect the wooden floor until I bought some Linn Skeets.
I still use these Skeets, but now I have a solid limestone flagstone floor and S600s. I still have the Mana stands but I don’t think they would fit under the s600s.
At the time of Kans I was studying acoustics; my thesis involved the real time analysis of speakers with various stands and supports. The cleanest sound came with stable sand filled stands - hence the coach bolts on the suspended floor.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.