Marten Speakers

Blimey, this speaker running in malarkey is stressful! After unboxing they didn’t sound half bad, but over the week seem to have got progressively worse. I’ve run them as much as I can, even had an hour or so of an anti-phase face off and this afternoon they are sounding much more like the demo units I borrowed.Now l have spent a good few hours shuffling my collection (well, my favourites). Don’t want to move them again, but have to get them back into the storage position when not in use, safely out of the way, especially as the ‘listening room’ is needed as a spare room tonight… Pah

Alas, the joys of running in! The number of times I’ve thought I’d made a mistake, until that eureka moment…do persevere it will all come together magically! Such commitment moving them for guests though!

Btw my local dealer emailed saying there’s been a big price hike, you bought them at just the right time!

1 Like

Running in well under way now, sound is consistent and overall on a par with the well run in demo pair. So here’s a pic:

And don’t worry, the right hand speaker is positioned so if the door opens it will miss…

5 Likes

They look stunning, good to hear they are sounding as good! There’s a pair of Miles 5 on eBay that I’m pining for … no luck persuading the wife yet though!

I had seen those, but too large for my little room…

New Marten speakers at Munich

2 Likes

Did you go the Munich for the show? How was it if so?

No unfortunately not, just got this off the web

I think your little one looks much nicer than the new little one.
They don’t look like they have the ceramic Accuton drivers either. Probably a new lower budget series ??

Thanks, I think the new ones are ‘budget’ relatively speaking at around €5500. The drivers are ceramic but maybe not from Accuton. No plans to change mine, my next upgrade will be the front end.

Couldn’t agree more… apart from the bit about Gloss Black :wink:

http://www.the-ear.net/review-hardware/marten-heritage-duke-2-standmount-loudspeaker

Lone voice keeping the thread open…

4 Likes

How are they sounding now they’ve had plenty of run in time?

Yes, thoroughly enjoying them, no regrets at all. I think the room I’m using them in might be a tad small as listening position is fairly critical, but over the months I have tuned the position to what I think sounds best but it took some time. I think a slightly larger room would be less position critical but nonetheless, SQ is everything I wanted. For sure they are showing the Nova at it’s full capability, so that’s where future upgrade funds will go, NDX2/SN3 on the shortlist…

1 Like

Did you ever end up changing your speakers?

No, I still haven’t found any that my wife will agree to - have actually started discussing moving house in the hope that the next one will have a music room where I can have whatever speakers I want :slight_smile:

1 Like

You should try and find a Red pair of the Dynaudio Special 40. They are just gorgeous in person. I haven’t seen any pictures that do them justice. You could also look at the little Wilson Audio speakers. I pretty sure they can And do any color you’d want.

Thanks for the advice, not sure that the Special 40’s would be enough of an upgrade on the 805d2s, I have been looking at the Wilson Tunetots, and yes I could get them with colour, but my they are ridiculously expensive - 10k+ without isolation base, the coloured ring around the loudspeaker (that is about 1k!) and I haven’t even seen any stands for them…

KEF Reference 1, Dynaudio Confidence 20, Magico A1… only $7500!

Hi all, reviving this old thread as I finally have a shortlist of speakers to demo and all booked for Friday (my wife has agreed that these “look acceptable” in photographs)… Kudos Titan 505 (in walnut) and Magico A1s.

I plan to run whichever I chose with the Nova and NACA5, unless there are any strong recommendations to replace the cables…

Any tips/thoughts guys?

Thanks, Carl