Maybe I’m an alien... but

Hi FR,

Aware of your experiences a friend bought his 250dr over the other week, we tried my CB250, 250DR and 300DR. In my system the 300 was better (Linn Klimax, Allegri, SBL). But, it was an interesting day.

Interesting thing synergy.

M

Oh look …its a record lathe!

:wink:

1 Like

I am now thinking of the ear 534, again. I am searching a more refined sound, with more textures and colors and nicer voices. Will demo very soon the ear v12 , to see if the prat and involvement is still there, as I found one year ago.
I know that the 300 dr is globally better, specially with Naim speakers, which is logical. And with generally a lot of speakers.
But the synergy with my speakers and room is better with the 250 dr.
With Audionote speakers in an average room, it’s not impossible that the xs3 would match better these speakers than a 300dr.
It’s funny that we both taking opposite directions now, you towards all Naim sound and me towards ear.
However I have not taken definitely my decision.

As you know I love the 534, but with the SBLs my CB250 was as good, and the 300DR better. As you say context is king.

Can you borrow a 534?

Did you hear about Tim? I dropped an email to Dena. He had just come back from treatment in Japan. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Which Dynaudios? Because my 300DR on my Confidence C2 Platinum is better in every way than 250DR ever was, but i do have the Burndies and XLR hanging free and clear of floor, wall and other cables. The only downside is I have my headunit on the Fraim brawn rack, due to space limitations on brain rack.

The 300, DR or no DR, is very sensitive to cable routing and being kept clear from the floor. No contest when compared with the 250 (I have owned both).

Putting the head unit on the ‘brains’ stack makes a significant difference too.

I can’t borrow it. My only reference will be the v12 integrated.
Normally, if the v12 will satisfy me again, as it impressed me last time at home, the 912/534 should not disappoint.
But I agree, the best would be to try it.

JDP - it was a pair of Dynaudio Contour 1.8 mk2 (nasty 4ohm load) - I ended up getting a pair of used 135s. For whatever reasons, at the time the 300 didn’t float my boat.

Yeah, most Dynaudios are 4Ω and like good power to sound good. A pair of 135s will definitely do the job. IIRC: there are other forum members who have mentioned a preference of 135s to a 300DR. My C2s are probably an even more difficult load than the Contour 1.8 MkII. I had Contour S1.4 and Contour S3.4. The 250 was able to drive them just fine. I didn’t get a 300DR until I was already on the C2s for over a year, but it was a huge improvement to how the C2s sound, especially for difficult source like large scale orchestral music (i.e. Mahler, R. Strauss, etc).

When I bought my 500 (non DR) pre-loved, the dealer had it hooked up to a pair of large Usher speakers and they said the fan in the 500 came on regularly. This also happened on a few occasions when hooked up to the 1.8s - it wasn’t an issue with the 500, just the demanding load the 1.8s presented when pushed a bit. My Olive 250 would shut down after 15 mins or so if I pushed things too far.

I think there are a few people who weren’t gripped by the sound signature of the 300 when it first emerged and preferred to jump to the 500, as this was closer to the bop of 135s.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.