Mayonnaise/Cheese

Next time you’re in a large supermarket, take a look at the Indian style ready meals. And then pretend you don’t eat chicken. Limits the choice a little!

Stop it.

1 Like

Has everyone forgotten how to actually make a sandwich?? Choose your own bread, mayo or not, filling and quantity of choice. Takes 5 minutes, you lazy buggers :grin::grin:

3 Likes

Sliced bread is now getting quite expensive.
Decent Ham is some £15 a kilo.
Making a decent sandwich can cost 5x more than the supermarket equivalent.
About time the humble sandwich to be elevated for the upper crust perhaps ?

Cheese and onion on the cheap ?

9 Likes

No Mayo no cheese

6 Likes
2 Likes

I hate pre made sandwiches and do my best to avoid them, if for some reason there’s no other option I’ll choose egg and lettuce.

The meat cheeses and mayo on those pre made sangers are generally horrible. The meats are that thin they should be called a spread and the cheese is also thin and tasteless. I don’t mind a good mayo but it has to be on the right sandwich.

Also just for the record the worse sanger I’ve ever had was in London in ‘95 served with the worse coffee I’ve had bar McDonald’s.

Christ, yes! Don’t even start on McDonalds coffee or their ‘breakfast roll’ - a slab of processed meat, a slice of hardboiled egg and processed cheese - good grief!

1 Like

Sangers…… Now part of my lexicon.:+1:
Another day,another word.

1 Like

I thought you guys might like that.

Salad cream - so
Much better in sandwiches than mayo IMO

1 Like

But it’s still flavoured vinegar :frowning: I don’t want vinegar on my sandwich :frowning:
IMO :slight_smile:

2 Likes

But it’s the vinegar that gives it a bit of bite and tang. Mayo is just extra grease :roll_eyes:

Mayonnaise. Cheese. What’s not to like?

If there is no Branston, Picklelili or whatever, cheese and mayo make a great sandwich. Let’s not forget there are many types of mayonnaise and cheese so your combination can be quite artistic.

While I might agree that filling station grated cheddar and Heinz mayo is uninspired and gross, I’d counter that not all are the same. And besides, cheese and mayo are both like pizza. Even when they are bad ones, they’re still pretty good - even if we don’t want to admit it.

Perhaps the problem here is I also don’t like pizza?

:open_mouth: :see_no_evil: :exploding_head:

1 Like

The issue I find with sausages and bacon nowadays is that they’re often pre-cooked, perhaps in a deep-fat fryer (hence why the ‘sausages’ brown all over). I use ‘’, as the types of sausages used are often closer to the Saveloy-type (full of cheap stuff) which the fish & chip shop brigade sell, and so far from a proper meat-filled sausage (OK, there’s always rusk, breadcrumbs and other ‘stuff’).

If crispy streaky bacon is your thing (which is a different cut), then fine – to me, it just veers to being cardboard.

There was/still is(?) a ‘bangers & mash’ cafe near a former workplace, offering many varieties but, truth be told, I couldn’t tell what was pork, beef, game etc,.

3 Likes

and… along similar lines, sausages that are cooked cut in half… yuk :frowning:

As we know, proper sausages (higher meat content/low or modest fat to aid cooking), take a long time to cook using a low heat (no pink in middle please).

I’ve tried the branded lower-fat stuff and quite often what’s rendered out during cooking hasn’t fitted the claims on the packet. My local butcher got some adverse feedback on this – he blamed a change of supplier.

2 Likes

I love crispy bacon but I definitely get your point re sausages.

Think the quality of a lot of food has taken a serious down turn lately.