MC vs MM

I am actually considering it… but that will mean no MC cartridge future option… am I right?

No, the DG1 takes any number of cartridges if you want including the very expensive Vertere Mystic MC……

You can’t beat the subtlety and detail of a MC…Dynavector XX2 has the power and the glory too!

Or just get one great cartridge do all these things well.

I have two tonearms. One with a stereo cartridge, the other with a mono cartridge. Both play all the kinds of music I have equally well.

Personally I just never bought the idea of voicing different cartridges for different music. I suppose if they aren’t very good to begin with that might be the case, but all the cartridges I have ever used from the Dynavector 20x2, up to the XV-1s and the two Lyra Atlas I have now, are great for all genres, types, and mastering, IMO.

As for things that sound overly bright, with LOMC cartridges you can tame that somewhat through cartridge loading. More loading (i.e. lower values) will reduce brightness/liveliness. Too much loading will start to make bass and dynamics a bit lethargic. But there is often a pretty usable range one can dial in to preference.

Just found a 3 years old MG with mystic MC at the retailer showroom… he is offering me in a nice price. Other option is to trade the 148A thorens with a 1600 one with MC.
Which do you think is better?

I would go for the MG and Mystic. That’s an amazing TT and Touraj is a genius. Very modern and absolutely top kit. Vertere are a nice company to deal with as well. My DG had an issue and they invited me to bring it over and have a coffee in a nearby cafe while they sorted it that day….

1 Like

OK… the finalists are:

1. Thorens 1600 with MC Thorens cartridge 1500 (new)
  2. DG-1 with Mystic MC cartridge (from demo)
  3. Rega 8 with alpheta3 (used 1 year)

I am sure that the obvious difference in design among them should be the main criteria but I am interested whether I should expect any difference in sound quality…

I run XS2+HC2+Cyrus phonostage with PSU and Proac D2Rs

I’d suggest getting the DG-1 as well.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.