MconnectHD vs Naim app, online streaming

Maybe because the app stops asking the devices to communicate each other? If the signal goes through the iPad , it should in that case sound crappy. Or it’s a bit clearer and voices are a bit more human.
Strange.

It is strange as the sound seems OK but I am only testing on a fc,92,90 setup.
Ah now even stranger. I can turn the phone off and the music keeps playing, but when I turn the app of and leave the phone on, the music stops. It’s as if the app sends an automatic stop signal when the app closes.

2 Likes

That means the audio files aren’t going via the device running MConnectHD.

Indeed. The mconnect is just a switch to send the files from my nas (upnp) to the player.

I understood the app works like an order, telling devices to communicate each other.
Which app do you use with your G1? Maybe you can try and compare with Mconnect.

Can you explain?

I use the Auralic app. It has a better interface than Mconnect. In fact Mconnect doesn’t see the G1.

1 Like

Is that ‘off’ as in powered off?

Yes, power the phone off while the app is open. The music plays on.

Close the app while the phone is on, the music stops.

Would the app not close during shutdown?

Presumably not. The same happens with my GoldNote streamer that uses an mconnect app with a GN overlay.

Not JimDog, but I think what he is saying is that if the audio data stream was going through the phone app there is no way it could continue playing when the phone is completely shut off

4 Likes

Interestingly, I have tried the mconnect on the sqbox Touch. When I close the mconnect app the music stops playing, but the Touch still shows the connection. I can then resume play at the Touch or via the PC web app. Why the mconnect app has to stop play when it closes is a mystery.

I use MConnect HD when I stream from Qobuz, and since I got rid of my Innuos Zenith, I prefer it over the Naim app for SQ.

I don’t know the reasons it sounds better, but it marginally does on some streams, and more so on others.

As mentioned above, I think the Naim app UI is preferable, but I forego that for the discernibly superior sound quality of MConnect.

1 Like

Hi mconnect can act as UPnP control app for a UPnP renderer such for streaming services or seperate UPnP server… in which case the audio does not flow through the app… it works like the Naim app for example… it can also cast / play to audio to a device… in which case it is sending/generating the audio to the device from the app. It does depend what you have mconnect do

2 Likes

I can’t explain Bruss’ result (because I’m not entirely clear on his configuration of HW and SW).

I have the Naim app and the MConnectHD paid-for app both running on an iPad, using WiFi (not bluetooth).

My only source is web-streaming from Qobuz - no home music storage.

Each time I open the MConnectHD app, I have to tell the MConnectHD app to find the ND5XS2 as a UPNP endpoint.

[By default, the MConnectHD app will play to the iPad’s built-in speakers.]

When playing music to my ND5XS2 via the Naim app, if I shut the Naim app and/or the iPad the music carries on playing.

When playing music to my ND5XS2 via the MConnectHD app, if I shut the MConnectHD app and/or switch the iPad off, the music stops immediately.

This means that using the Naim app, audio files are sent straight to my router and then by Ethernet cable directly into my ND5XS2.

But using the MConnectHD app, audio files are sent to my router and then by Wi-Fi into the MConnectHD app on my iPad, and then sent back by Wi-Fi to my router and on by Ethernet cable into my ND5XS2.

As regards SQ, I do sense a very slight difference between the 2 apps - but these differences are so small that they could be swamped by (or created by) expectation bias.

2 Likes

Yesterday I was using the Android phone to test the turning off and as reported the music continues to play.

I have just tried the ipad and it is as you report. Turning the ipad off stops the music.
All very strange and inconsistent. I suspect that the ipad is using airplay as its communication route, ipad to music store back to ipad and on to the renderer.

I also bought an NDS on eBay to upgrade my NDX be aware you will need external power supply to run it as no internal power supply like NDX or ND5XS. I use a XP5XS which works fine

1 Like

Yep, ta, I’ve been trying to think sensibly about it, but it went for £2160 - I could have bought a classic XPS for about a grand and still been cheaper than some bare NDSes I’ve seen for sale. I did resist though. Just X)

Once you start looking for Naim gear on e-bay it is fatal!! (At least for me). I try to buy from reputable dealers who offer a warranty period.

2 Likes