Media server for Synology NAS

Absolutely YES. its Media Server software works with WAV.
However it does not mean it will be happy with the “Naim version of WAV”, and because of this I still strongly advise you to convert all your “Naim WAV” files to FLAC on the Unitiserve before you send them to a new NAS. Once on the NAS the FLAC files can be played transcoded to WAV - this is what most people do.

With a “normal” WAV file you get all the metadata tags that you need, just as you do with FLAC & the others.
Its the media server software that sorts this, Synology’s “Media Server” is OK, but limited, however it is a good simple starting point. Minimserver will do it all far better with more customer options than you need, but its something that you can ‘grow’ into in your own time, Asset UPnP will do all that just as well but its does easier & simpler, but its not free (£24 for life)

1 Like

I suspect there must be a setting or two that you need to correct so that you can play WAV. You still need to store as FLAC, though. I would try to get to the bottom of that issue before moving to new hardware with no guarantee that’s even going to solve The undiagnosed issue.
The NAS itself is just a store, it’s the server it runs that needs to support WAV, but no modern server will fail to play a format as common as WAV.

There is no setting that needs to be changed to play any file codec with Synology.
Provided its not the proprietary Naim WAV format

If it was me (rep. if it was me) I would first & foremost convert all the Naim WAV to FLAC & move everything thats on the UnitiServe onto the new NAS. Then forget the Unitiserve.
Once on the NAS all the files can be viewed & sorted with a PC or Mac in the share root tree. Duplicates can be identified, folders sorted & names changed etc & any unwanted can be junked.
Then the new NAS (Synology) will play everything, easily & with no complications.
The FLAC files can be converted back to WAV if thats what you want to do, but with Asset & Minimserver transcoding there really is no need.

I was wondering if transcoding on the fly had been enabled, as this could serve up the WAVs as MP3s, although it’s hard to see how someone would inadvertently configure this. Just a shot in the dark, but it’s possible on most servers (US, Asset, Minim.)
As for ditching the US, its resale value at 9 years old won’t be huge, so I would just keep it. Mine’s still fine after 7 years, and my Synology/Minimserver is ready to take over at a moments notice from the US backup if it dies.

Yes good point re inadvertently setting a transcode, like Minim & Asset its a feature that Synology’s “Media Server” has, but Paul (OP) seems to be unaware of any of this & so suspect no one has been in there to ‘check’ the box.

By ditching the US I had in mind keeping it simple & back to basics with just a NAS.
I’ve not owned a US myself but have helped people who did, both have removed the US & now have a NAS. Both have sizeable collections of US CD rips & bought in high-res downloads & all agreed that once all the ripping is done the US is an expensive accessory, both use PC/Mac laptops for the odd CD rip as required & both find it just as easy & in some respects more involving/interesting.

I find the US very easy to use, and it does everything I need, so for me the simple solution is to just stick with it until it dies. At that point, I will make a decision on which way to jump, although I may ditch UPnP in favour of Roon.

2 Likes

Folks, thanks for your input. ChrisSU, we seem the be in a very similar position, I too have a functioning Unitiserve and I must say I’ve been very happy with it. But I want to have a seamless transition to NAS when it eventually packs up.

One question re: NAS drives - I read somewhere on the forum that WD Red drives are the preferred choice for streaming duties. Is this still the case ?

Cheers
Paul

I’m not aware of any other advice re. HDD choices, so I would stick with WD Red myself.
Regarding a ‘seamless transition’, as I already have a NAS running Minimserver, I can already use that to play from the backup files if I want to, which gives reassurance that I still have fill access to my music if the US fails.

I’ve not heard of an alternative that is claimed to be better.
I have them & can’t say anything other than they work
Bur please note !!! its the WD Red, not the WD Red ‘Pro’

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.