Melco Mania

Relax Meni! You have a collection to listen to, as never before.

Thx R.V.P hope to enjoy my collection,feel from the beginning out of the box there is a real justice for our Nd 555,now I need a budget to add a second ps555,

Just reading the HiFi PiG Quarterly Summer edition and there is an interview with Alan Ainslie of Melco UK where he explains why the D100 rips are of a better quality than those using a bog-standard IT CD loader. Part of this will be positiioning vs. the other rippers.
I have yet to test this out myself
 just saying.

1 Like

thanks for the post. I will post it in the recent thread where some were talking about the differences in sound for rips.

RipVanRadio
 did you test any of those options?..bridged mode v.s isloted mode,which one is best for you?

Isolated mode is of no interest to me, so I have not tried it.

Me either

He’s a salesman
If you read dBPowerAmp literature you’ll read why it makes better rips.
If you read the Inuous material you’ll read why it makes better rips.
And what does Naim say of its UnitiServe and Core?
IMO my Mac mini makes accurate rips with XLD, which are as good as it gets.

Who is right? You’ll never know by reading opinions.

3 Likes

Your ears are right

It’s interesting that the review dodges the issue of sound quality over the network. I’m not saying there aren’t any effects (I have Audioquest Vodka Ethernet cables!) but I’m not entirely convinced that spending big on network servers is the most effective way forward.

Keith

1 Like

Did you try? nothing is worth to spend much on music devices as long you don`t need to look forward for better sound
this hobby does not have any limits

Rip
How long did you need to run N10 for best performance?

Streamers as good they are,needs a good server,it’s different from a cd ,cd is a closed box dont’t need anything,so if your network devise is expensive,you need also a big pocket for a decent server,otherwise you don’t use your streamer as it suppose to give you joy

i just read the review of the Melco n10 on Hifi News( i posted you).
I was a bit surprised to read that the sound was just a little better vs mac or pc server. The reviewer is using also the nd555.
I was expecting much better. However i have perhaps not enough precisely read.

As ever, it’s hard to allocate a sound quality score to a product such as this, as it’s more about what it doesn’t do to the audio. But the N10 certainly provides a neutral platform for your DAC of choice, and when you add in the convenience, its ease of use once set-up and loaded with music, the slick looks of the new two-box format and the overall sense of a product built for purpose, it’s surely impossible to avoid

That’s what I read at the end of this review
 didn’t see what you saw

2 Likes

However, what’s more apposite is that the N10 provides what one could describe as a neutral platform on which a DAC can operate, effectively taking the ‘transport effect’ out of the equation and allowing the sonic qualities of your digital converter of choice to shine through. Tried with a variety of DACs, from the little Chord Mojo [ HFN Jan '16] all the way up to Naim’s ND555 [ HFN Apr '19], the Melco N10 proved more about the sound of the DAC than any audio signature of its own, as has previously been noted with the server at the heart of editor PM 's own Melco-based reference system.

In my opinion it is a possitive article for n10

Top-Flight
That combination of clarity and dynamics is also much in evidence with the exceptional concert recordings on BĂ©la Fleck and The Flecktones’ Live Art [Warner Bros 9362-46247-2], from the crispness of Fleck’s picking through the grumbling bass and propulsive percussion. Victor Wootten’s stunning solo version of ‘Amazing Grace’ shows the bass definition here at its finest, while the extended jams with some illustrious guests illustrate just how much detail is on offer when the Melco N10 is combined with high-quality digital-to-analogue conversion.

I don’t remember, but it was amazing from day 1, and kept improving for months.

1 Like

Hi Meni,

I’m not sure what your point is. If you’re asking if I’ve experimented with different servers then the answer is, yes I have. I can’t hear any difference between my Readynas Duo and my Unitiserve, although it’s a long time since I bothered to compare. However, Vodka cables (especially, from switch to streamer) made a big difference. I added the Cisco switch on oak cone feet on a bamboo chopping board plus Powerline Lite and didn’t bother to a-b with the outgoing Netgear job. I thought I heard differences between Roon on the Vortexbox and using the NDS conventionally but blind testing with the family was inconclusive.

I don’t try very hard with this stuff though in case I drive myself mad looking for subtle differences.

Keith

1 Like