Melco N10 & N100, difference

I do sort off agree with you guys as it sounds ( no pun intended) far to good to be true. But will see tomorrow if it turns up, just what these can do once paired together.
But the main post was, can anyone tell me what the difference is internally between them, as they look the same, atleast in the board and its components?
Maybe the boards are the same and its just the nice power supply thats the main difference as that might also explain why melco use such a crap wall power supply with the N100? As that helps to keep its performance down.
I dont know, but as always willing to try things, as i might be surprised and i also might not, but i will say one thing, if i cant tell the difference i will say it, as a sheep I am not.
Its like when i tried the nd555 against the nds at hifi lounge, the difference is not huge at all, yes it does have a bit more space around it, but for the cost difference its not really worth it, is my view

Try to compare the N1z2 ( 5k) vs the N100 with Sbooster. It would be interesting to know.
As for the software differences, why not ask directly by Mail through the Melco site. They respond very quickly in general. I have once read the differences inside but don’t remember where. All I remember is that is was not only a ps differences, even if it’s a major thing. The n1z has multiple linear ps and greater opto isolation vs the n1h. The n100 has an SMPS. The N10 has a massive separate linear ps, similar to the 555. It’s not in the level of the Sbooster.

I had before the Israeli, the hdplex and finally the most expensive Uptone Js2. The last made greater uplift vs the two on my unitserve.
The best of linear supply cost around 2k ( SR 8). So even on just linear ps, there are not minor differences.

UPDATE

Well if you have a melco N100 simply get yourself a sbooster, plugged mine in this morning and straight away the difference is quite apparent, it says it needs 100 hours to fully burn in, but i have to say very impressed, more off everything, more alive, lovely wide sound.
I just can’t believe the extra this has added and fully shows up just how bad the standard power arrangement is, its 100% a complete no brainer not to have this and for a little over £300 its a complete bargain the best upgrade i have ever experienced on my system and i have had a few just lately, but this is just a massive difference and i mean that.
As you can probably tell i am blown away by this and so glad i gave it a try.

2 Likes

Hans Beekhuysen made a YouTube video recently on the N100.
He is keen on the SBooster too.

Jason Kennedy also used an sbooster in his EAR review of the N100.

Clearly Melco put in a dirt cheap smps to hit a price point, so you’ve found a smart way to get a large improvement for a small investment.

The amount of storage is different from the N10.

Not sure what else.

The main question is whether £2k on this server is good compared to other £2k servers like the Zen.

BTW, what other upgrades have you made recently Dunc?

Well jim i am amazed at the difference as i said. Its not one that you have to try and convince yourself its better, this just smacks you in the face right from the off.

I do know that the N10 storage has an extra 1tb over the N100, but thats not a problem as its easy to add more if i ever need it, so far i have used less than half the storage.

I have found out that the N10 has an extra metal plate under the hard drive to make it even more stable, but apart from that and the power supply i cant find out any other differences. This sbooster has taken it to a new much higher level, how good i dont know or even care right now. As just enjoying it.

But melco did a great job on the N100 to dampen its performance down, that now is easy to see and hear, but thankfully there is a easy way to get round it.

I was thinking about going up the melco range as i am using mine loads more now i have lots of nice hires recording on it, but so glad i listen and for once it has saved me £1000’s rather than cost.

As for upgrades on the rest off the system, thats all the same it was, since i went 500 / 552 etc

1 Like

Well done - you seem to have found a value niche in the Melco range.

How long is the warranty on the box and on the HDD?

I hear that you must register the box with Melco to get it - is that correct?

Have you had any problems with your Melco since the software upgrade? My N100 has gone haywire since the upgrade! The file structure the metadata artwork has been completely messed up. Now the front display no longer displays what I am listening to.

Was that the EX upgrade, or just the latest FW?
Which version?

The EX upgrade.

I guess their service team may be able to help you.

They are trying. I was interested to see if it’s just mine!

Mine is fine and just as it was, it did take a few minutes for all the art work to come back first time.

No problems with my N10 but yes the art work did take a while to re cash.

I did the demo - both were good but the more expensive one had a lot more musically as a step-up for the price and is the one I have myself now.

My Dealer told me they found that model was a big step-up in performance - which is why I auditioned it.

The later more expensive versions are probably even better in different ways (cleaner more open-dynamic from n10 I was hearing when I briefly compared against my n1zh2), but I’m happy with this version, as it has particular strengths I greatly value. I particularly like an ‘organic contiguous’ presentation without any feeling of dynamic restraint - it delivered that and I love it! :slightly_smiling_face:

The later version builds on that and is cleaner but you have to decide when and where you spend your money and other areas were more important for a while.

DB.

1 Like

The dealer will always tell you things you like to ear,If he see that you cannot afford N10 he will tell you how close the sound is on a cheaper one,at the end both get happy :grinning: :grinning:

1 Like

We all know you can keep on spending, but i shouldn’t think the top end models sound massively different? And i would have said getting a better dac would be the way to go, unless your dac is already a top end one. As that’s what makes the sound or atleast converts it.

My next more will be saying good by to the NDS/555dr, going to side step the ND555 as for the money i dont think its much off a step up from the NDS, as i have demo’ed then a few times now and not convinced, plus i see it as a huge money pit as they are already falling in price massively and will only get worse as things move on. So a new dac to work alongside my melco is the way i will go, probably dave/mscaler or Bartok or something like like

How old is your NDS?

If you mainly play music from the Melco, what’s the need to change your DAC?

NDS is 2014 i think, but i got it second hand from deal and not 100% sure.
Use the NDS to stream and its built in dac. So if i want to improve my dac it needs to go, as the melco can stream as well when needed.
Plus it would free up a good chunk of cash to go towards the dac

Dunc, in all reviews on Melco or other servers I could read, the reviewers point that the best sound quality is always in Upnp mode, over Ethernet, not usb or spdif.
I can’t say it’s a generality, but I very often read that.
I know some use usb / spdif converters with Melco and Naim Dac ( as Flipe) , but Flipe had already the naim dac before, so he tried to get the best from it. But it doesn’t mean it’s the best solution in absolute terms.

O right, interesting to know, cheers.
Nothing is going to happen hifi ish for me now for a while anyway as very happy with it all, especially my analog side and the sbooster has done just that, boosted my digital sound, but the only real bit i would like to change in the futher is the dac end of things.
As happy with the rest and not looking to change anything for many years to come as i feel i have reached my end with it
500dr
552dr
Pmc fact 12
Rega P10
Rega aura
Plus the normal cables upgrades

Its my digital side, NDS and melco which you could argue is fine, but at the same time probably not up to the same level as the rest, but for now its fine and happy to have it all and be able to enjoy it