Melco n10 or additional 555dr

i was more talking about the quality of the hardware. A 6k melco server should normally sound better vs a cheap raspberry pi ( 100 GBP).

Nds

I hope much more,the Melco is expensive

did you had that instability with the nds also? just curious

I had different problems but yes

@Meni I very much doubt a Melco will improve on a Raspberry Pi and definitely not on a Mac Mini running J River MC as you can apply DSP Studio to correct for room anomalies (not necessary if your streamer is Linn DS, but handy with Chord or Naim). No doubt the Melco is a nicely built NAS/Music Server, but it’s unlikely to sound better. It certainly didn’t when I heard it, nor did it sound worse.

If the ND555 does not perform well in your room then I’d recommend trying J River MC or Roon and applying some room correction. I heard the ND555 in unfavourable conditions and was unimpressed, but I put this down to lack of room treatment and room correction. It can work wonders.

I would only consider Melco if you could try before you buy. If it sounds better to you then it is better. I’ll be staying with my Mac Mini and J River MC.

I find the problem I had for a week,the last week everything was bright nothing in balance,the reason was a friend of mine put about 13 pieces of rubber under my s/l speakers cables,not to touch the floor

I didn’t know that this was the reason,just this day 2 hours earlier I took the rubbers off,suddenly like a magic everything is back,sound is great,I’m happy I solved the problem,no bright, good balance, it such a big different I didn’t believe

1 Like

i am glad for you that all is fine now. The more advanced the system is, the more difficult it is to set up it fine.
My fear going for the nd555 is to have to high frequencies and some brightness in my system. My room is average ( 19 m2) and i feel that my nds is well balanced now. I will not have the possibility to listen to it in my system before.

I tried Melco,it was better,what source do you have?

Nds is bright,nd555 not,it sound more full very dynamic,in balance,don’t be in fear,he is better,from the first moment I heard.

good to know, thanks

But no… you are basing that on the fallacy that just because it costs more it must be better… and that is the trap that so many who pursue this hobby fall into…

it costs 60 times more. If it’s not better, melco is a real crap!

Why? You are still aligning to the fallacy that cost neccesarily relates to SQ. it can also, and perhaps more importantly, relate to usability. The Melco is an awful lot simpler to setup than a RPi.

it’s the choice of high quality components, linear ps, optoisolation, isolation from noise, filters…i guess
have you compared both?

1 Like

I have measured severeal media servers… and as I have said I could see deterministic results which I shared with Naim. The SQ differences I found are related to things that are to do with inter frame Ethernet timing consistency. This affect is lessened with the new streaming architecture. This is determined by the media server OS and it’s implementation to a large extent. It has NOTHING to do with so called opto isolation, that really is a distraction Yada Yada Yada… it may however be due to common mode noise from a poorly design or implemented product, but even if you have such a poor quality component, then ferrite chokes are often of help to impede common mode noise… but as you know my solution that I introduced to the forum several years ago to manage clock noise and poor EM quality components was to introduce a quality switch port such as from a Cisco 2960… and I have been contacted by audio journalists following this particular point up as well.
Ethernet frame processing noise is also of importance, which is why I always recommend IGMP snooping, and if on a busy broadcast subnet, then create a dedicated audio subnet by using a suitable router.

Simon, the cisco 2960 is a good example. It costs new 20 times more than a 8 port netgear or tp link. I thanks you to have enabled me to discover it .

Or for thirty pounds off your local auctions site…

1 Like

Mac Mini with J River Media Centre serves Linn DSM Katalyst.
My switch is an old 5 port HP 1420
Music is stored on Asustor NAS in my home office.

If you find you prefer Melco go for it. I went for what I have because I prefer it, but we use different streamers, different networks and you may well be hearing things I couldn’t. I’m glad you found removing the rubbers gave you back the sound you were after.

There is no substitute for try before you buy.

1 Like

Simon, i just read the feedback of Obsydian, in the melco mania thread. He bought an innuos zen ( the entry level). For him it sounds a lot better vs his raspberry pi.