Melco N10 part 2

No I think either as ethernet uses the mconnectHD app and usb uses the MelcoHD app.

I think you made the right decision and agree on a ‘tailoring basis’ approach.
I didn’t mean to criticize the experience but get a more focussed idea on different approaches to deal with the subject.

We need a D100 that is loaned out, so we can all take advantage of its ripping with out having to buy it.

I have suggested this to my dealer in the same way that you can hire a record cleaning machine. So we’ll wait and see!

4 Likes

Nice one…very interesting idea👍

My Ethernet cables and switches sound the same to me. I use HP because I like the build quality. I have not heard anything produce better rips than XLD on a Mac except perhaps a Sony Playstation 3 ripping SACDs. I can hear no difference between lossless formats played by JRiver Media Centre. Nor have I heard better digital replay than JRiver MC into Blu2 into DAVE. Perhaps others hear differently.

Right or wrong, I no longer seek improvements, I simply enjoy playing and listening to music.

Works for me, could work for others. It is simply a different approach.

Lets hope he agrees, as like i said it would be a nice service to offer and probably help melco sales as well

I also think this is a great idea. Postage/courier and insurance would inflate the cost. Maybe a timeshare approach with 10 members is another way to look at it.

I haven’t timed it, but it certainly measures in minutes, not seconds.

Ok it probably takes longer than 30 seconds, but it didnt take me weeks to rip through 300 odd CD’s.

It’s not ‘probably’, it’s a fact. Let’s at least stick to the truth, whatever our various opinions.

But I thought we were in a post-truth era?
(Or will we find a way to end that?)

If we don’t, we’re in big trouble!

1 Like

Interesting, in the demo did the Melco work as an upnp sever or just as a switch?

Both.

1. We tried the ND555 into my Dealers Cisco 2960 to a non-Melco NAS as baseline.
  2. Then we just inserted the Melco - not hosting music data itself, but just routing it through ‘doing nothing’ - but that was the biggest upgrade in the tests.
  3. Then we hosted the music from the Melco itself and that was about half-again as much improvement as above.

Improvements were in terms of clarity - reduction in smear and murky colouration revealing more music detail - and more important to me was the sense of ‘aliveness’ the music took on. The cozy sleepy musicians were now interested in the music they were playing it sounded to me, making me also more engaged.

That is what I heard and why I go one for my own system.

DB.

2 Likes

Thanks for clarifying! I guess I will have to seek out a way to demo one in the future to hear for myself.

My dealer tested the new S100 Melco switch. He strongly recommend it because the LAN isolation build in Melco‘s NAS is now separated in an external unit. So your findings made perfect sense! Even with a shitty NAS he got great SQ improvements. I will test a Melco NAS these days…

My son in law has experimented with tracks ripped on the Melco and a pc with the D100 and on a pc with a built in Teac computer DVD rewriter disc drive all to flac compression 5 in the versions done on the pc were done using using EAC to do the ripping . The meta data was taken out with MP3tag and the files just named 1,2, 3… .

The file sizes of the 3 versions were all identical at the end of that process. He then looked at the files with cmp on a pc running Linux as per the method described in the link (in post 88). He says they are all the same. He can hear the difference when they are played. So he opened them in Audacity the only difference is that the all melco rip is recorded ‘quieter’ he thinks. We played the files to various members of the family from 10 to 65 there was an equal split on preference over which was preferred. Younger liking the pc rips, older liking the all Melco rips.

You can make of all of that what you will…

While all this was doing on I was having a quick listen to a S100 switch at the dealer, to be honest it is a ‘bit’ different to a Cisco but that is not to say better. My name is on the list for a home demo which I think will be the only way to evaluate it.

2 Likes

Curious. It is almost as if the Melco emphasised something relative to the PC ripping, e.g. HF, making the sound shrill to young people but compensating for age-related HF hearing loss in older people.

Can the two groups put anything into words as to what differences they hear - what makes them prefer the one they do?

Yes to me, the pc rips sound bright, the melco pc rip in the middle and the all melco rip softer and more detailed. By that point my son in law was repeating “bit are just bits” over and over again. Perhaps this is the equivalent of why electricity sounds better down a well engineered cable, intrinsically it the same electricity that will make a kettle boil!

Well done Peter. So the rips from pc and melco have exactly the same metadata , are presented identical and have the same size, but sound different. Less noise is the only difference probably.

1 Like