Melco n1zh/2 vs n1h60/2

I compared the N1A/2, a Naim Uniti Core and a QNAP TS112, an older single bay NAS. Both Melco and NAS were running Miminserver, Naim Core, it’s own software. The original audio file was ripped from a Melco USB drive to a Melco N1A/2 then transferred to the Naim and QNAP. We repeated this exercise using the same disc but this time ripping from the Naim Uniti Core.

There were three of us and we all perceived the rip from the Melco to the Melco in uncompressed FLAC to be the best sounding.

We also thought that the digital file transferred from the Melco onto the Naim sounded better than the Naim’s internal rip of the same file.

It is 10x better, no, not at all but there were some subtle differences. I thought the presentation of the Melco was darker and just more natural but I could easily live with the Naim as well. The NAS was a distant third.

1 Like

I dont want to confound rips with UPnP servers.

Were the Core, QNAP and Melco all on the same network and functioning as UPnP servers? That’s how I’d want to compare them, personally.

It’s nice that the same rip was used for all 3 . . . that eliminated a variable (for those who believe that not all bit-perfect rips sound the same). But for now I’m not entertaining discussion of rips, just servers :slight_smile:

congratulations…did you use it as a server… or as a player using NDS dac?

you`re Connected to nds/ 555dr, by Ethernet cable. Melco to switch and Melco to Nds by Ethernet.
Mode bridge ( not direct mode)…Like me Mode bridge (not isolated mode) different name in N10 but the same intantion

1 Like

Hi Bart

Yes, all on the same network, using the same brand/type of ethernet cables, all connected to the same Cisco switch and using the same streamer, amp and speakers. Only difference was which device was serving the source material.

This was the major reason I purchased the Melco. I was looking for a high end server. Seeing most of my library was already on my QNAP, I just transferred the files over. In the year that I’ve had the Melco, I’ve only ripped a handful of discs.

I had unitserve, then unitserve / linear ps, then Melco n1a2 , then now Melco n1z2, connected each time as Nas.
Each step was an uplift.

When I compared nds to nd555 , both playing Tidal and Qobuz ( on mconnect app for Qobuz), I found the sound similar, but all better with the nd555. With the nd555, there was bigger scale, more defined instruments, more defined bass, and an impression of more natural and effortless sound.
It’s what I hear now with my new Melco n1z, vs the n1a. The same differences than between nds and nd555.
So , my opinion and feeling, the nds/Melco n1z/2 is on the same league as bare nd555 ( with a common nas).
Can’t compared directly, but it’s what I feel, regard of what I said above.

French…Logic what you said … but never completely accurate

I wanted to say that the uplift from nds to nd555 is similar to nds / Melco n1a2 to Nds / Melco n1z2.
No accuracy, just my impressions.
Of course, nd555 is not nds/ Melco n1z2. But quite on the same league. ( if nd555 is running a common nas).

Do we still need to use a switch between Melco to Router in terms of sound?..Melco by himself is a kind of switch…Is`t unnecessary?

1 Like

For me it’s absolute yes! Router to Melco is clearly inferior to router/ cascade Ciscos / Melco.
I will receive the Etheregen switch very soon. Will report.

You can choose the new Melco switch

Too expensive, and no need all that ports.
I bought already the Uptone…

A friend just tried the melco switch at home (nd555 with two 555dr, 552/500 into b&w802 d3 all SL cables) and he is missing it now it has gone back to the dealer. He has a melco (the cheapest one) and core

2 Likes

I tested the Melco even with Sbooster against my Cisco 2960 for 10 days and sent the Melco back again. It expands the sound stage but it looses the body and presence of the tunes what didn‘t work for me… my wife said the Melco sounds „fuzzy“. Imho has the 2960 best wfm in hifi history.

Interesting - this was a substitute for a Cisco 2960 I think. Different ears different sounds I guess

1 Like

That’s a bit bizarre: if a Melco is used as a server + storage solution that feeds a streamer via its dedicated Ethernet port, no data apart from the controls should actually go from the router to the Melco or the other way round. Am I missing something?

Frenchrooster is not using it in the mode you described, but rather as a traditional UPnP server. No ethernet connection directly from the Melco to his NDS, at least that’s what I understand.

No Bart, I use direct connection from nds to Melco ( switch to switch). The Direct mode is something else ( works if a Dac is connected in usb).
Melco has 2 switches : 1 to connect to a router or dedicated switch. And the second to connect directly to the player ( nds).
What is certain is that the quality of the switch ( external) remains very important still. At least in Upnp mode.

Perhaps @Darkebear could explain better to the @nbpf question. Not perhaps, but surely :laughing:

Oh ok!

1 Like

The problem is that this direct mode is configured when you receive the Melco. You can still play in Upnp mode but the sound is uninvolving.
It’s the reason some found the Melco a bit dull when tested at dealer place. I guess it’s that.
When I had my ex Melco, I was disappointed. Until the next day when I clicked on the bridge mode.