Melco power cable

…and yet people still want to bypass it and install a linear supply. Anyone would think that the designers just don’t know what they are doing…

2 Likes

Some did… but that’s just plain bizarre behavior on their part.

Not all linear power supplies are world class and those that are are very expensive. Like the PS555DR

normally linear ps use dc power connection, with dc cable. Not?

Yes - Yes. :bear::slightly_smiling_face:

DB.

?? err ??? you better try that line again.

3 Likes

so why external linear ps as hdplex, sbooster, uptone…are connected by a dc power cord to the components, in 5v, 12v, or more?
Can you explain please?

1 Like

Mains (AC) - Dongle (AC-DC) - DC supplied box …perhaps?

Mains is AC so you always have to have a Mains power lead - unless you have your own DC supply from elsewhere.

DB.

yes, at the end the linear ps go to the mains. But between it and the component, there is a dc power cable. Hicap, supercap…don’t use dc power cord. so ?

Don’t they? It would be interesting if they supplied AC!

Hicap, Supercap, XPSDR and 555DR are linear power supplies.

What specific cable they use to connect to Naim components doesn’t change the fact that these are very high quality Linear power supplies

1 Like

I don’t understand what is being asked - the linear supply is a box with AC mains input and DC rectified voltage outputs, but it is not a perfect isolation device.

Inside the Linear supply is the greatest source of noise and violence nearest your HiFi where the AC mains is being rectified by near-short-circuiting the mains at 100 Hz where the rectifier diode conducts current into the DC capacitors.

You can’t escape that this is putting a lot of noise onto your mains (the conduction pulses contain fast rise-time current on/off pulses that induce electromagnetic noise) - and it appears that the mains cable connected nearest to where all that is happening has an effect.

Switched supplies just move the action up in frequency and entail smaller components and the promise of greater efficiency, but at the cost of generating a lot more VHF and RF noise - which has to be very well contained - it can’t really be so for a HiFi system.

And all HiFi linear Amps can interact with very high frequency noise entering to generate inter-modulation distortion (IMD) and that sounds like smeary murky mess onto the sound.
Linear supplies tend to mainly add harmonic distortion and switched supplies IMD.

You get to decide what you like best! :laughing:

DB.

1 Like

Yes and some do it with Mac mini and have the nerve to criticise Peter Belt. Why anybody would replace a world class SMPS with a noisy LPS is beyond me, but they do.

I understand your point about out of band noise affecting sound quality, but compared with the LPS buzz, I’m very happy my kit has superb SMPSs. No need for expensive mains cables, I did replace stock “Made in China” mains leads with inexpensive UK made Mark Grant ones: better build and nice MK plugs is my excuse and the do have RFI, VHF and EMI shielding to pacify my paranoia.

My main point is that I’d recommend caution before spending hard earned cash on a boutique mains cable or LPS. Some folk appear to think these will always improve products. Ideally try before you buy and at least make sure you can get a full refund: one often recommended supplier was taking money, but not delivering anything.

1 Like

my question was to know if naim ps are true linear ps? just that

yes they are.

1 Like

You would be surprised. I had the chance to try Naim power line Lites on Linn Active speakers (previously with standard power cables - nothing special. probably generic ones that one with computer monitors) and the system woke up and came to life with the Naim power line lites.

The Linn active speakers have SMPS power supplies.

100%. So called LPS carry noise to a greater or lesser degree & a well designed & applied SMPS can be made significantly quieter.

The less said about boutique power cables the better

1 Like

:small_blue_diamond:@TiberioMagadino,…Maybe because they experience an improved soundquality :wink::grin:.

Have you never thought it might be so.??

:small_blue_diamond:@TiberioMagadino,…Okay,.I hear what you say.
But the most important thing,.that you “forgot” to rewrite.

•How do these Mark Grant-powercables sound in your music-system.
Surely that is the only thing that matters,.and that is omitted.
This post says absolutely nothing.

:small_blue_diamond:@TiberioMagadino,…If a power-supply is quieter than another,.is completely uninteresting.

It’s how it contributes to better soundquality,.which is the only interesting thing.

•And that you test,.by practically listening to it.!

As well,.I have never had any problem with noisy LPS.
You have previously written that you don’t install your music-system yourself.
So if you have problems with noisy LPS,.then maybe you should take and investigate what it depends on.

There is always an explanation of why something is happening.
For you draw conclusions,.and describe things that I have never been through,…or heard of.

:small_orange_diamond:And how do you know that your SMPS are,.as you say…superb SMPS.?

I can tell you,.that you should probably let Linn check your SMPS after a few years of use in your Klimax DSM.
They go really hot,.and after a number of years of use they are just brown in color.

We have changed SMPS in some Linn Klimax Kontrol and Klimax DS after 5 years of use,.and it was a clear difference to the better in soundquality.
This may not many think about,.but after 5 years you may not have the same performance from your SMPS.

So one tip is to let a Linn trader check this out. It’s easy to make an A-B test against a new SMPS at your Linn trader.

2 Likes

I’ve not tried it and my system is not active so yes I might get a surprise. My Linn kit came with mains cables from Longwell and Tongyuan, The now gone and forgotten Linn forum had a long thread discussing their relative merits. I used a Naim PL on my Radikal, but could hear no difference and found PLs awkward so moved to Mark Grant mains leads.

Hand made to required length by Mark in Yorkshire with 3 x 2.5mm2 twisted copper conductors, shielded with mylar film, dual over lapped aluminium foil and dense tinned copper braid with drain wire to ground the shield; MK655 Tough plug, 13 amp Bussmann fuse and Martin Kaiser 794 IEC connector.

I’m not claiming sound quality improves, but happy to buy well made inexpensive cables that are flexible and not fiddly to use. I use UK made Olsen mains blocks and MK wall sockets to complete the puzzle. If I do AM radio RFI test I get nothing.

1 Like

I use Mark Grant DSP 2.5mm/2 dual screened power cable, hand made to the right length. I bought the cable off the roll when Mark sold it as such & added my own plugs & sockets. It is a nice cable, flexible & it satisfies my RFI/EMI OCD inherited from my pre-retirement work.
Because Mark stopped selling cable off the roll, I use LAPP Olflex Classic 100 CY cable from wall to the power dist board. Its also 2.5mm/2 & screened, but is thicker & not as flexible.
I’ve run the AM & SW radio test & also probed around with my Fluke no contact power/voltage detector, nothing leaking out anywhere from the cables - some detected in plug tops etc. = suppressed OCD.

Getting back to ‘boutique’ cables - I’ve tried a lot & - - - well as I’m bound to upset people, so better just say I’m happy with what I’ve got.

2 Likes

Understand but not sure shielded cables for mains sound best in a naim amplifier.

I’ve trued a few and other than making the sound brighter heard no appreciable gains at all in a Naim context in terms of the pace rhythm and timing.

1 Like