Melco Server Help!

You need to close your Nd ,Melco switch and router ,when you open first start with your router second your switch wait few minutes continue with Melco wait few minutes look on your Melco screen to see if you already get IP address and last your Nd ps

1 Like

Well - after a strange period of the ER refusing to work - it not passing a DHCP address through to Melco or ND555 - after a day of instead reverting to my old Cisco config to run the system and play a lot of music - I tried a final power-off and re-boot of the ER (about the fourth or fifth time) - and now it works!

It was the ER all this time being temperamental.
It is interesting to have a day or so playing music without it - the old Cisco 2960 is musically excellent but by comparison is a lot heavier and fuller than the ER signature - which is cleaner and livelier - however that is achieved.

So the thread is, hopefully closed!
Thanks for the help of those who suggested things to try - probably in less stressful times I’d take all this sort of shenanigans more in my stride as just how this stuff rolls when it decides to go wrong.
It certainly made me very aware of how essential music is for me at times - especially when I know I can’t have it! :smiling_imp: :bear:

DB.

4 Likes

Glad you got to the cause of the problem and was able to restore things to their norm.

2 Likes

The icon will appear when a USB-DAC is connected. : Displays when controller mode is configured to “Hybrid Mode”. : Displays when controller mode is configured to “UPnP/DLNA compatible Mode”. : Displays when controller mode is configured to “Playlist Mode”.

Darkbear…can you tell me the different between those Melco Displays…and which one do I need to configure? I tried all of them and lost the place it was before

I do not use the Melco USB-DAC output as I do not have a USB DAC and have only ever used it via its ‘Ethernet’ connected mode.

So I use the ‘clean’ Ethernet output to my ND555 and use Melco in ‘Network’ mode, where it looks out to my House network Router to obtain a Dynamic IP Address - which in turn I reserve for it on the House Router so that the Melco is always allocated the same DHCP Address by that Router - not essential but I like things to remain the same where possible, whist retaining the DHCP ‘plug-play’ flexibility.

Melco also has a ‘Direct’ mode where it acts as an island to itself, but I do not use that option as I need my ND555 also on the house Network - and the Melco also occasionally needs it to get Artworks over internet when doing Rips.

I only ever use the USB connection when I occasionally connect-up my ripper Drive to rip a CD.

So I’m not best to advise on using USB for a DAC.

DB.

Me the same …so those options is for USB-DAC only… if so it does not matter which of them in my settings is on or off

I formatted now all my melco music library… I realized that WAV plays best and flac which was the majority was less good…flac was also slower in most files when i gave a command to play … Also between track and track took time…it is going to take me around 40 hours to fill all music again…meantime there is no server untill it will finished

Before I went over to Streaming files from any Server from playing from CD (on my then CD555) my Dealer did a few demos of the different digital music storage formats - we compared WAV vs flac and the WAV sounded ‘darker’ with an easier sound to access with better and fuller bass compared to flac, which then was brighter and just less easy to access musically for me. This was comparing the same track of music ripped to both flac and wav formats - I was at that time surprised I’d hear any difference at all - this was a few years ago when I though these sort of differences did not exist.

So it was easy to make the choice of wav - spent weeks ripping to that for all my CDs using the Melco CD ripper into the N1 Server, after I also had the demo of those differences that should not exist and nobody has properly yet explained to my satisfaction - but were nonetheless present. I only wanted to do this once! :slightly_smiling_face:

DB.

I agree, WAV definitely sounds better than FLAC (or any other type of music file), which seems strange…I use Melco via USB into M-scaler/DAVE, & this difference is clear, even from various types of files I’ve converted to WAV using DBpoweramp. All part of the many mysteries.

I took all my 2500 albums …most of them were flac and by DBpoweramp batch convert I convert all my files from my hard drive backup…and yes wave is darker with more bass

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Today I had a similar issue to that which @Darkebear posted above. The Melco was visible via computers, TV, basically anything that was not on the Naim app. I thought about it for a while and left it for some hours to see if it rectified itself. It didn’t. Everything else worked fine, Internet radio, Qobuz etc. It was just the Melco that the app couldn’t see.

I turned off the Router, switches, Melco and Streamers in that order and waited for maybe 10 minutes. I then powered back up, Router first and waited maybe 5 mins, Switches waited 5 mins, Melco until it was on then Streamers.

In hindsight I don’t think switching off the Streamers was necessary and question if the Melco really needed to be switched off also.

This is a different example to Darkebears but may help people if they experience the same getting back up and running faster.

1 Like

FWIW I found after comparing Flac, Alac, Wav and Aiff, that I preferred Aiff seems to me to be a bit more transparent than Wav. Wav had a fuller but more colored sound.

1 Like

I felt like you my all music is Wav…I understand if you change files from Wav to any lossless format …you don`t loss nothing at the end

Hoooo I’m astonished … you’re definitely right AIFF is also full, but on the good way bass is sharper and everything sound more dinamic …Wav sound too fat,shut off and less dynamic.

Yes, I agree . Prefer AIFF too. Wav is a bit fat.

2 Likes

BTW I believe if you have flac or Wav you can covert to aiff and gain the sonic benefits

1 Like

Wav and Aiff are exactly the same size …I do have batch convert

I will not rush immediately with those conclusion what better Wav. Or Aiff …l need to compare many files before getting to any decision… in the end what’s important and better is which of them is in more balance … balance is the real key to how music must sound