Memories of Childhood - Oliver Postgate

Spoilsport

1 Like

Fenella was even more terrifying than davros.

1 Like

:joy:

From Wikipedia , the untruths are far more enjoyable than the truths .

To avoid the ire of Richard , I have sanitised the references

1 Like

Loved Mr Benn

G

3 Likes

Here Here :blush: !

1 Like

Love the bowler hat!

1 Like

So there was no Seaman Stains either? :disappointed:

2 Likes

Well quite.

1 Like

Was that possibly a pun? :roll_eyes:

Afraid not , it was all a myth

and finally

1 Like

If it was the one on BBC 4 the other night I had to turn it off when some therp started banging on about his relatives being leftist/marxist and then trying to say that the clangers had political undertones.

Not seen the latest doc, but I’m sure I recall one of the ‘voices’ of the Clangers saying they were imagining some very fruity sayings as they performed the lines on the swanee whistle.

I think Postgate did grind a few political axes in his programmes (the mice on the mouse organ, IIRC) and didn’t he go a bit Brexity in later years?

Mark

1 Like

Memories are not so great. My mother bought my clothes from the army surplus store.
For a boy of 13 dressed in a Polish officers jacket was very caused a laugh.

1 Like

Not sure whether this is meant to be a joke or not - the link to Oliver Postgate though completely escapes me

I think Brian means memories of childhood, which this thread celebrates (through the medium of TV) - maybe Brian never had a telly. We (well, my Mum) only had a colour one in the 80s…that was a shock for her!

We had a secondhand B&W telly in the kitchen when I was growing up and I used to get bumped into there if there was nothing else to do on a Sunday afternoon except watch some telly, typically old movies.

Imagine my surprise when I saw ‘A Matter of Life and Death’ on the proper TV for the first time and discovered half of it was in colour!

3 Likes

‘One is starved for Technicolour in heaven!’
AMOLAD is my favourite film

1 Like

Since Brian has helpfully reminded us that Childhood memories are the essence of the thread …
But sticking with TV …

Muffin the Mule was closely followed by Andy Pandy, Bill and Ben the Flowerpot Men and of course, Sooty.

2 Likes

I can just about remember the woodentops too way back in the mists of time!