Meridian 210

Yes, Tim’s dealer network is not good.

I find the Allegri has a lower noise floor and is more dynamic. The 868 does add texture.

I am aware of negative feedback in amps, but I am not an electronics engineer. I believe that it lowers distortion but can an effect on impedance; which, from memory, is where the potential concern was. I was advised to listen to the bass response, which I did and it was great.

Over the years I have used the 534 with ART, Living Voice and Focal speakers. The 534 always bested my CB250s. With the SBLs this was reversed. The 300DR took it up another step, as did the new XO.

1 Like

I thought the 868 was a bit like the 912. Because my 912 is very dynamic. And also some find the Allegri not always involving, other like it.
Finally without listening ourselves, all these forums and reviews can fool ourselves.
Difficult finally to know, based on others.
Martin Colloms prefers the Allegri to the 552. Other found it a bit dull. You find it very dynamic. 2 other members here use also the Allegri ( @Chag and @Stringerbell). Maybe others.
Too many different opinions. But the most important is that you enjoy it.

Hi FR,

The 868 is very dynamic, but in my system so is the Allegri; is the Allegri more dynamic as I stated above? Maybe not.

As I my have a bit of time shortly I’ll do the comparison and report back :wink:

I have tried a number of passive pre-amps in my system and found them less than stellar. The Allegri works well.

Keep well,

M

1 Like

Hi Mr Underhill, it sounds like you are enjoying the Allegri in your system. I am led to understand that the synergy of the Allegri is dependant on the source as well as the power amp impedance served.

Can you confirm your system equipment chain please, I am interested in the Allegri and own a NAP 300, but I can’t get and Allegri to try in my system easily.

I am curious to read your findings. I had the 300 dr and 912 combo before, not a slight less of dynamic. But perhaps the 912 is different from the 868 . Don’t know.

Hi Roog,

Synology NAS (Minim Server) / Qobuz >> Meridian 210 >> Audio Note DAC 2.1 >> Allegri >> 300DR >> SBLs.

Sounds grrrrrrrrrrrreat. :wink:

M

Wilco

Wilco?

Wilco = WIll Cooporate.

I’ll do the comparison and come back to you.

1 Like

Thank you Mr Underhill, that’s interesting and encouraging that you have your high impedance tube stage into the Allegri into the Nap.

I’ll have to find one to try. Cheers

Thought I’d post some updated thoughts. I am truly having the best digital I have ever had at home. The box may be limited to 9624, but my 192/24 files have never sounded better. I do wonder whether this is related to the well advertised Meridian Apodising filter, and the removal of ringing?

Subjectively what I am hearing is better sound staging, instrumental weight and detail. By detail I mean the box on a stringed instrument, and the ringing of a percussive instrument, the resolution of background singers; not high frequency detail. In fact there is a removal of tizz. Bass lines are well resolved, and the seperation between the bass and bass drums, for instance, is excellent.

I am REALLY looking forward to comparing this to the dCS Network Bridge as I suspect this is going to be a bit of a David to the dCS Goliath.

Now, if only I had some time at home to truly appreciate it.

M

1 Like

That’s quite an endorsement – and I am really looking forward to you reporting on the Meridian/dCS battle. :slight_smile:

Me too!

Hello Mr Underhill–I noticed the same thing when I got my Meridian Ultra Dac–that all things sounded better–in fact the non MQA sounded much better than with other dacs I had experienced. I attributed this to the apodizing filter characteristics. My Meridian M6 LR speakers also benefited–they are kind of background music on the first floor. Main system is upstairs and benefits from the full Meridian treatment, mostly MQA which sounds even better to my ears. dCS was the next DAC I was going to audition, but the Meridian checked all the boxes for me.

Hi Gary,

I am absolutely bowled over by this little box. I seriously was looking at an 861 to do decoding and AV duties, but have decided NO. The Audio Note is doing a superb job, but I am so impressed I may well have a look at an Ultradac in due course. If these are the sort of traits you have been hearing with MQA I can understand your enthusiasm. I have gone Qobuz, and so am streaming full fat HiRes, but might well have a play with Tidal out of curiousity - IF I ever get an MQA capable DAC.

ATB,

M

1 Like

For all of the reasons above, i am considering a Merdian 818, streamer preamp, I don’t use my analogue inputs much so the whole A to D then conversion from D back to A doesn’t bother me too much.

It would be good to find someone with one to listen/try

@bailyhill uses the top streamer/ pre . Don’t remember if it’s 818.

If you can try and borrow a 210 at the same time, it will address MY curiosity! :smiley:

As you use the 300 I would definitely point you at the Allegri, works brilliantly with the 300.

Hi Mr Underhill, I definitely fall into the category of ,“can’t face or afford the whole naim pre amp thing!” I like the power amp and it drives my speakers very well, (ATC SCM40’s) but the thought of all those boxes, extra levels of fraim, and cost are a right turn off. Finding an alternative pre or streamer-DAC-pre which drives the 300 well is my aim. Well it was until the Corona Virus arrived.

Just before the whole virus thing I had considered borrowing a Allegri which I know Martin Colloms seems to like too. Thank you for sharing your positive expereince of the pairing of the Allegri with the 300DR, this is helpful, although I fear my wife isn’t going to like the manual Volume thing, and she uses the stereo as much as i do.

So the Merdian thing is fitting with my plans as a way forward, Roon + Streamer + DAC + Pre, provided that it plays my 300DR well and that I fear will need to be tested. Whilst there are used ones about, they are a lot of cash to spend on a hunch.

So if any one has one I’d love to hear from them. :0)

Martin also reviewed and liked the Icon4 passive, just not quite as much as he liked the Allegri, and it comes with a remote.

I’ve just finished listening to the soundtrack of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Now this is music I know inside out. Through the 210/Audio Note I can here SO clearly into the mix; follow bass lines that before were lurking but not resolved; precisely place each element in the sound stage.

I am now on Tori Amos: The Piano, The Collection. It is so easy again to hear all the components, but also where the engineer has added effects - and all without distracting from the music. This was a charge I had against the Schitt Yggy, it dug out detail but rendered it like a post mortem in my system.

If you decide to persue the 818 I will be interested in your thoughts and observations.

ATB,

M