Michale Fremer reviews The Beatles Let It Be boxed sets

Expand please. I think they wanted contradictory things i.e. not George Martin but then not anyone other than an engineer really. When they got what they wanted they didn’t like it. When they got another producer in they didn’t like that either. I hear nothing special about the John’s mix but then nothing terrible either and it’s certainly superior to the Martin mix in many ways. I just hear mediocre songs as being the real issue. Little for anyone to work with. No magic to be done in the mix.

Usually Phil Spector’s name crops up in discussions of the final product. He gets the blame for the final product.

The John’s mix just seems too ‘raw’ for a commercial album at least for my tastes as they’ve been influenced by all that came before it. Yes I’ve read that at least conceptually that’s what they wanted. Maybe it just didn’t translate to reality?

Let It Be - Naked is interesting in its own right. I’ll listen to (almost) anything Beatles however. I’ll listen to that “Love” soundtrack, but it drives my wife bonkers and she can’t listen to it.

1 Like

Yeah I quite liked Naked. Couldn’t stand Love. No redeeming features for me. Beatles on 45 by any other name.

Don’t agree about Abbey Road , that does have some great moments.

Moments do not a great album make.

1 Like

No but there is no such thing as a perfect flawless album that I’ve ever heard.

I don’t think I claimed it as perfect or flawless. However, it’s consistently been held up as very good but flawed. I prefer to go with not very good.

Jesus, switched off after 30 secs when he started to ramble on about JFK and how the Beatles came to America. What tosh.

1 Like

Thing is that I really like Abbey Road, Yes it’s got Maxwell on it which is…
But I love most of the album and especially the medley on side two.

Takes all sorts I guess. I find it turgid and pale and unoriginal.

1 Like

What do you find original and inspiring?

Weird, I thought you “wanted to talk about this album:.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.