Michell GyroSE or REGA Planar 8

Yes I am but I I have a feeling that the more bass from the Orbe platter and the Bronze sound profile work really well together so not absolutely sure I will make the switch.

1 Like

The 2M black is really nice. Iā€™ve got one on my P8. People often seem to pair the 330 with the Gyro. The P8 has the 880 which Iā€™ve always believed to be significantly better, so on the surface the P8 may have more potential with more illustrious cartridges. It certainly seems to be a lot of deck for the money, in terms of performance rather than bulk of course. If you remove the platter it weighs virtually nothing.

1 Like

When I bought my turntable it was between the then new out Rega P6 and the more expensive Gyro SE. Listened and liked both, to me both Rega and Michell make fast, rhythmic, punchy sounding decks with a little more weight and depth from the Gyro.
I went for the gyro SE with Tecnoarm. I loved the looks but also the upgrade potential, HR power supply and arm boards available for just about any arm upgrade.
In the end though I donā€™t think youā€™d be disappointed with either.
Enjoy.

1 Like

Again everyone - thanks for your thoughts. I am new to the forum but am very impressed by the amount of advice and suggestions. Thank you. On looks alone I think I would opt for the Gyro SE but, from what I am reading and from reviews I have read this afternoon, the REGA is likely to be the turntable I go for in the end. Iā€™m liking the sound of it being a strong ā€˜plug and playā€™ option and also it feels as if it offers good value for money.

That said I am now looking for a dealer who might be able to offer a home demo.

Best wishes everyone

Then you need the Orb.

2 Likes

There was a chap who worked at my local dealership who also used to post here, Frank Abela, who is sadly no longer with us. He had a GOrb and had tried quite a few arms on it starting from an SME. He settled on an Aro but also rather liked some of the other unipivots such as the Wilson Benesch ACT over any gimballed arm he tried. I had quite a few long chats with him when I wanted to move on from the RB300 on my Rock and it was his influence that led me to put an Aro on it. Cueing an Aro with nothing to rest the hand on took a bit of getting used to apparently.

Iā€™d hazard something like a Morch or one of the Roksan unipivots might be a good match if Michell can do an armboard of the right weight, they made one for Frank for his Aro.

Yes, the ORBE SE looks better and has a less eye catching platter.

4 Likes

The Gyro is typically partnered with an RB330 or the Rega modified arm Techno arm.

If you listen to both decks and still arenā€™t sure - you could meet in the middle by going for the Gyro with the arm (RB880) and cartridge (Ania) that come with the Planar 8 turntable.

For the look I would choose the Gyro. For the sound, given my preferences of music, it would be P8 . I had the Rp8, now the Rp10. For rythm, involvement, fast sound with grip, the REGA wins over Mitchell. I heard the Gyrodeck and Orbe in the past.

1 Like

Also consider a Well Tempered Simplex if manual cuing doesnā€™t scare you and the Chinese build isnā€™t an issue. Audition whatever.

1 Like

Hi
Yes - thanks. I will audition for sure. So far I think I may have managed to arrange a home demoā€™/loan of the REGA. That is however a great start with which I am delighted. Perhaps when I get it (fingers crossed) I may even actually like the look of it.
Best wishes everyone

Hi Everyone,
Thanks again for your brilliant suggestions and advice. As an update I have managed to arrange a home demoā€™ and have now set up the RP8 at home. Iā€™m really much more impressed than I expected to be with how it looks (thankfully) and hopefully soon I may hear it in action. Sadly there seems to be an issue with the power supply that I have been loaned ā€¦
More to follow once I hear it!
Stay safe
L

1 Like

Hi Everyone,

One more question ā€¦

I am very impressed with the REGA Planar 8 (with the Anita pro cartridge) that I currently have on loan. Iā€™m even very happy with the look ā€¦ which I was not expecting (and my wife likes it as well - perhaps more than I do). I was just wondering if, having selected this over the Michell Gyro SE, anyone thought I should now consider the LP12 Majik. I had considered this.

Thanks everyone and stay safe

The Linn is having an update which has been coming for a while. You may get a demo one cheap, but if you like the Rega, get one.

1 Like

@billywindsock ā€“ are you referring to the Karousel?

@LCNantes ā€“ yes, you may wish to consider an LP12. they are a rite of passage for Naim fans, so you might as well get it out of the way! (I have an LP12/Aro and love it.)

1 Like

I was looking at the basic LP12 earlier in 2020 and my dealer told me there is a new version due with a changed/improved arm around Christmas. Not sure if it exists yet. I may have got it wrong, but Linn used up all the entry spec arms it had and wanted something different, canā€™t remember why. Very happy with my Gyro SE now,

yes, when Jelco ceased trading, Linn put a (really ugly, IMO) Clearaudio arm on the Majik LP12.

our OP should probably get in touch with a good Linn dealer and have a deck built to his/her budget. the Roksan Nima tonearm is supposedly a very good value.

1 Like

The thing here is that the Linn is quite a lot more expensive. If you move to that level there are a range of other decks to consider as well. I owned Linn for many years and itā€™s critical that you get a good dealer who can set it up well and ensure best performance.

The entry level Linn comes with a horribly ugly arm, and I donā€™t believe it can play 45s, though may be wrong on that.

The extra Ā£1,000+ for the Linn would really help towards the better amplifier that you have been thinking about. I have a Rega 8 and itā€™s just so easy to set up in just a few minutes. A Linn is more complex and itā€™s easier to get things wrong.

Perhaps you should have a look at one at the dealer. Itā€™s a more traditional look - a ā€˜properā€™ turntable if you like. If you feel that youā€™d like using a Linn more, then thatā€™s the one to get. On the other hand, if you are happy with the Rega then maybe you should be happy with that.

Do consider too whether you are going for the SN3. If you are, might you be better with an MM cartridge? It would save the cost and clutter of a phono stage.

Hi
Thanks for the suggestion. I am listening to the REGA at the moment and it really sounds great (even with my current amp). I had thought of a MM cartridge for the REGA but when I mentioned it to my dealer the ā€˜reactionā€™ I got slightly put me off (itā€™s a great dealer with whom I am very happy). I actually think I will go for the SN3 plus a MM cartridge though as it makes sense to invest in the amp and avoid the immediate need for a phono stage.
Cheers

1 Like

Hi everyone,

Iā€™m just revisiting this for one last time. I hope that everyone is well of course and thank you for your thorough and very helpful suggestions and advice.

I have now had the REGA Planar 8 (with the Naim Stageline) on loan for a week and I am really happy with it. Iā€™ve definitely ruled out Linn as, despite my attraction to the more traditional look, I am not keen to feel restricted by any need for support in ensuring it to be correctly set up (a move abroad is imminent ā€¦ hopefully). I am also keen, at this stage, to avoid spending any more than necessary.

On this note, can I ask if anyone has an idea as to how the REGA Planar 6 or a Technics deck compares to the RP8 considering the difference in cost.

Despite being a Naim owner for 1 years I am still new to this forum so apologies for the potentially ā€˜basicā€™ questions.

Best wishes

1 Like