Miles Davis 69-75: Concert videos

The gig contains great mix of material from that period - not just from ‘On The Corner’, which has similar cover art to this album.

It’s a two lps album, in concert, from 1972.

1 Like

That’s a lovely record.

Who wrote the liner notes?

Yes, the gig was in '72, the LP was published in '73.

I uploaded the pic from google. Concert from sept 1972.
Can’t say for the liner notes , I would have to search the lp …takes some time…

Hi FR

What was that Dark Magus revisited LP you posted on the Dac thread?

Is it a remastering of Miles or a cover version by a current band?

Jim

This might be worth checking out. Stuff from 1973 to 1975 - for me this the most interesting period.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reminder, Andy.

I have listened to some of Kaiser and Smith’s reinterpretations before - will give them a spin tonight.

Yes, the whole of 69-75 is full of musical delights, but the very best albums for me were Agharta and Pangaea, which were recorded on the 1st February 1975 in Osaka.

No, it’s an album of Bob Belden I discovered on Bandcamp yesterday. The tracks are Miles Davis from 70’s.

1 Like

I have that one too. Very good :+1:

1 Like

The fourth disc in this set is a live DVD. Unfortunately I don’t know what it’s like; although I’ve had this set for more than four years, I don’t think I’ve ever watched the DVD. The set is pretty bargain cheap too.

Thanks - I’ll check it out.
Jim

That set of discs is, I think, described by this:
"[…] the third CD features a previously unissued concert performance by the band recorded in Tanglewood in August 1970, the same month of Davis’ legendary Isle of Wight performance. The extant CD and DVD of the latter concert reveal the band to be on fire, and it is perhaps no surprise that is the case at Tanglewood, representing a major find from the Columbia vault.

Historically, it is great to have Bill Graham introducing the band since he was so influential in encouraging jazz musicians to embrace rock, booking them on to his egalitarian programmes at the Fillmore. On this concert, in contrast to the Copenhagen DVD, Davis is truly grappling with the electric zeitgeist. What is of interest is that the pieces are all pared down concert versions and make their point more dramatically through brevity, none more so than the title track, which on the LP is some 26 minutes in length but in this live performance is pared down to some nine and a half minutes. Equally, ‘Miles Runs the Voodoo Down’ is just four minutes 39 seconds, and such is the quality of music this track seems to pass in a blink of an eye."

I’ve watched the Tanglewood video twice on YouTube, and also the Isle of Wight. Both superb gigs.
I will watch the Copenhagen video soon.

Yes, I’ve just played the live CD from this set (actually streamed from my NS01). I have several live CDs of Miles from this period. He’s on fire on most of them.

1 Like

Yes, Miles just blasted forwards into rock music, electric guitars and keyboards and pedals and synths, big funky African and Western and Asian music, with drumming and percussion based jam sessions, with Stockhausen influences and exploration of spontaneous creation of music, riffing around hypnotic and repetitive themes…

And we can still hear and see much of it…

1 Like

Here are the tracks and musicians. The band is : Bob Belden’s Animation.

Tim Hagans - Trumpet
Bob Belden - Soprano Sax
Scott Kinsey - Keyboards
Matt Garrison - Bass
Guy Licata - Drums
DJ Logic - Turntables

1. Pharaoh’s Dance (Joe Zawinul)
  2. Bitches’ Brew (Miles Davis)
  3. John McLaughlin (Miles Davis)
  4. Miles Runs The Voodoo Down (Miles Davis)
  5. Spanish Key (Miles Davis)
  6. Sanctuary (Wayne Shorter)

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.