Miles Davis bio on BBC2

That is a lovely quote in there ‘Teo Macero is to Miles what George Martin is to The Beatles’.

and if I recall correctly ‘In A Silent Way’ 1969 was not mentioned ?!

I saw this on US Netflix last night, I believe. I know nothing about the post Bitches Brew Miles. This was a decent start.

1 Like

I saw it on Netflix and enjoyed it.

I’ve seen quite a few Miles documentaries and of course, all of them come up short, though all of them have something to offer. Let’s be honest. To do him justice, you need a series not just one 90 minutes episode. He invited/reinvented himself/music 3 or 4 times.

Yes he was unpleasant (mostly). However, how many great musicians/writers/scientists/philosophers/etc were unpleasant ? In jazz, Mingus wasn’t particularly pleasant, neither was Stan Getz (can’t remember which musician said ‘how can such a mean man can play so pretty’ about him), nor Buddy Rich and so on.

1 Like

Not great that he beat his wife…where do we go when Morrissey goes far right too?

Both awful traits no matter how much we might enjoy their music.

Years ago I made a 400 mile round trip to shoot Miles play in London. It was marvellous but somehow I feel my memory is now tainted by this

Well I share your views but assassination that is a bit extreme.

1 Like

This is an issue we each have to come to our own decision on - can/should one separate the person (their beliefs & actions) from the art they produce?

Miles Davis, Michael Jackson, Wagner, Orff, Strauss, Gesualdo, Eric Gill… the potential list is so huge. I’ve considered the issue carefully and come to a decision I’m at peace with (I wouldn’t quite say ‘happy with’) and we all should do the likewise.

Mark

sorry photograph … different photos were used by 3 music magazines.
On his red metal trumpet he had is name engraved miles

1 Like

I always remember what Ronnie Scott said about Stan Getz:

“It’s one thing when your idols have feet of clay, but another when their heads are made of clay.”

1 Like

And a couple more:

I’ve been suffering from a slipped disc…I got it bending over backwards for too long…trying to please Stan Getz…

We’ve got a sensational new group playing at the club for the next two weeks…tenor sax player Stan Getz is back and is joined in the front line by the jazz violinist Stuff Smith…It’s called the Getz stuffed quintet…

2 Likes

That last one is on the CD ‘If I want your opinion, I’ll give it to you’ :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.