Mini-Review: Cisco Catalyst 2960 vs EtherREGEN vs EE8 Switches

Please do so. I would like to hear what you thought/think of it.

1 Like

I was quite skeptical at the beginning - because in my previous perception Ethernet is just bit-perfect data and quite well isolated. That has turned out to be proven wrong.
I have to admit it really has improved the overal sonic experience. Much more energy and more organic.
So if you get the chance of trying one, or just order one and you can return it anyway at no cost.
To summarize: there has to be far more investigated into the digital audio chain than previously thought. But itā€™s great to see where this journey is leading with this device.
So far I have been using the standard power supply (just used an Audioquest power cable to connect it to my Niagara 5000) - but there are also further tuning options like a Farad Super3 or Ferrum Hypsos etc. for the next step.

2 Likes

You are talking about the ER you received? Because you wrote above that you will receive it on Monday.

1 Like

Yes I got lucky, DPD was able to send it even by Friday! :smiley:

2 Likes

If you have a use for more than one linear PS, you should consider the dual output Uptone JS-2 power supply available from the same source as the ER.
Iā€™m using one to power an English Electric PS and a Roon Nucleus. It will power many devices and itā€™s serious stuff.
It comes with one power cable. An extra one costs $75.

1 Like

Having read so many of these switch related threads, I wanted to share my limited lessons and, incidentally, offer my thanks for much useful information (please note - only my second post!).

I tried a CISCO 2960 in place of the Netgear GS105 and was very surprised at the difference it made. More detail, life, punch, sparkle. Probably a little too much. But I gained something I didnā€™t want to lose - but things werenā€™t quite right.

Next came the ER (std PS). I am now juggling with this on its own, or in series with CISCO. I seem to be edging toward the ER on its own (B port linking to ND555, A to Router and Core). Cables are Miecord Opal. Have been trying BJ and Catsnake but not made conclusions on those yet.

Basic conclusion: this path is giving real gains, for relatively low cost - but donā€™t know where it will end! From this thread it seems the EE8 is an interesting possibility also ā€¦

Would be interested to know if external PS for the ER tends to ease over edginess and grain, or is this just my Krellā€™s tending toward brightness?

1 Like

Definitely, a good ps will soften and open the ER, without loosing dynamics. But maybe not all ps. I tried the Farad 3 lps and it gave more edginess than stock ps.
Uptone JS2, Mcru, Sean Jacobs or Paul Hynes are all a good match.

1 Like

What is your hifi system made up of?

(most people list this on their profile)

Itā€™s B&W 803 D3 and instead of SuperNait2 got currently a Devialet 440 Pro. Niagara 5000 power conditioner and Hurricane / Thunder cables as well as ISP provided cable modem also working as WiFi router. This is connected to Etherregen. Also connected to ER is a silent QNAP NAS running Roon Core.

I might try the highly acclaimed Farad Super3 or Ferrum Hypsos as LPS for ER / router / NAS.
What is in addition great to the Ferrum is its flexible setting to adjust for various devices.

You might want to read about the mfg HEM that does the Ferrum (never heard of it, just looked it up). They seemed to have really screwed over Mytek, trying to hijack their products and even offering unofficial firmware that was screwing up DACā€™s. I would go with something else, personally.

2 Likes

Thanks, looks like an important and hopeful avenue to consider: might rebalance things. Plenty of choice too! Clear, gentle, non-hashy treble seems difficult to achieve at times (suspect it may be truthful reproduction of some recordings - fidelity or pleasure?).

1 Like

As Iā€™ve written, I can vouch for the UpTone JS-2 and UltraCap LPS-1.2, or the Hynes SR4. All three, IME, are really exceptional LPSs. Word on the street is the Hynes responds to PC differences, whereas the Uptone versions really donā€™t. Given my own comparisons Iā€™d tend to agree, though admittedly I have pretty much cloth ears when it comes to evaluating cables. I never have heard any appreciable difference, be it ICs, PCs or DCs. Speakerā€¦maybe more so.
Anyway, all food for thought.

I didnā€™t understood what you mean by : ā€œ word of the streetā€¦the Uptone versions really donā€™tā€¦ā€. Can you use more easy language for me? :laughing:

Ah, apologies @frenchrooster. Itā€™s a kind of colloquialism just meaning in many reviews Iā€™ve read before making the comparison myself from the UpTone main forum (CA) and especially audiobacon, there seems to be a consensus or reports that PCs donā€™t seem to affect the sound of the UpTone LPSs. Perhaps more to the point is that the differences in PCs donā€™t impart anything in the signal versus the Hynes, which many have said responds to aftermarket PCs.

Ah ok, PC as Power Cord, not PC as computer. In France, we use the term PC to talk about computers ( non Mac).
All is clear and mirrors my experience. When I had the JS2, I didnā€™t observed real difference in sound quality using a better power cord.
:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Same usage (PC for both power cord and personal computer) here, but just shortening.

2 Likes

OK this is where I am at ā€¦ my good friends wanted to change their digital phone, this is another story suffice to say the only way to get it to work was to consolidate his ā€˜switchesā€™ and plug the phone into the router. His phone works, but he now wants to Roonify his B&O.

I swapped out his 4 port BT hub and 4 port TP link for my 48 port NETGEAR switch as a temporary arrangement. He would like a 8 port switch. His Roon is on an IMac two floors above the living area that feeds a couple of TVs. His B&O is redundant until I find a feed into its SPDIF input (RPi?). I should not forget to mention that the property is listed, has thick stone walls, and uses an over the mains WiFi connection.
So cutting to the chase, Iā€™m minded to go for a second hand 2960, but he wants something new. From reading this thread the EE8 looks like the solution, but I wonder whether I need a LPS?

I donā€™t think one would go wrong with either. Thereā€™s just no way to tell if an ā€˜industrialā€™ versus and ā€˜audiophileā€™ switch is better, worse or indifferent in terms of SQ. Functionality, itā€™s likely a horse a piece so long as one only needs the Cisco as a passive component. As for LPSs, that is a nice to have but not a must, obviously. The design of the SMPS that comes with the EE8 is said to be of high quality and works in tandem with it from a design perspective. The only way to know how much noise is associated with it is to measure it. For consistency Iā€™ve gotten rid of any and every SMPS for audio/networking purposes and replaced with an LPS; it has also made it much simpler in my situation for isolation purposes as well.

1 Like

SWMBO has entered the equationā€¦ we wait and see

Potentially a very expensive exercise or experiment!

I have linear power supplies for both the Rendu and DAC (Mytek) in my second system and I deemed the improvements to be worthwhile. However, a swap to LPSs for both of my NAS devices, my Intel NUC (running Roon Rock) my router and my two Cisco 2960 switches would be very expensive and with no guarantee of improvement of any sort let alone a significant improvement.

Iā€™m happy to live with the possibility that my set-up is (very) slightly suboptimal.

1 Like