Miniot black wheel turntable

It plays upside down. From around 2k to 3k. Cool looking. I have no idea of its performance.

Three closed loop motors and the linear tonearm control all movement where it counts most: at the tip of the stylus. The acclaimed AT Nude Shibata cartridge provides the built-in audiophile preamp with a precisely controlled signal. The unmatched stylus tracking and Constant Groove Speed are true turntable innovations, unique to Wheel.

Iā€™m sure Roy Gandy wonā€™t be losing any sleep :grinning:

3 Likes

Rega is plug, adjust, and play.
That one is only plug and play.

1 Like

I canā€™t imagine playing a valuable or irreplaceable LP on that horrid thing.

1 Like

Gimick

Itā€™s the same kind of concept and spirit as Audio Techniica burger. The goal is not audiophile, more fun and minimal space of the thing.

It wonā€™t be much ā€˜funā€™, though, when the realisation dawns that all the records that have been played on it have been ruined!

Itā€™s a toy, not a record player. Still, weā€™re all adults here - mostly, anyway.

Could be worse. :scream:

1 Like

There are adults, also old endless teenagers, old grumpies, and adults with a childhood mind.
I am in the last camp. Try hard to not finish an old grumpy.

2 Likes

If thatā€™s intended as an insult, itā€™s water off a duckā€™s back!

Do you have further information to support this?

It looks great, and reading the Kickstarter blurb quite some effort has gone into stuff like the tonearm. Doesnā€™t appear to be a toy, although that of course doesnā€™t mean itā€™s a great sounding deck either.

1 Like

Iā€™m relying entirely on my eyes, and I can see that it ainā€™t a Linn-beater.

But boys will have their toys, so enjoy!

Absolutely. I think a lot of efforts and ingeniosity had been put into it. Itā€™s a kind of technical art. Not intended to replace a real turntable.
The same was done with the Maglev turntable.

So anything that canā€™t beat a Linn is a record destroying toy? Thereā€™s plenty of turntables either side of them, so would be curious why theyā€™re the cut-off point according to you?

And Linn isnā€™t exactly entry level, so most Project and some Technics and/or Rega turntables are destroying peopleā€™s records? Many members here would be horrified to find out.

And letā€™s not even go into the eyesight based quality assessment.

Not at all, I had a Thorens TD160S, with a Mission 774 tonearm, before I bought my LP12 over 30 years ago. Not much of the Linn is still there any more, though.

Whatever means of spinning records you choose is fine by me. Good luck.

A quite interesting review of it on theverge
Itā€™s not something Iā€™d buy but if nothing else I admire the tenacity of its builder.

80 parts, many of them 3D printed.

1 Like

From the review: " Letā€™s start with Room B, comparing the Wheel 2 against a ā‚¬450 (about $480) Pro-Ject turntable fitted with what Doucet and his three listening peers consider a better OM-20 cartridge. Hereā€™s a summary of the comparison:

ā€œThe Wheel 2ā€™s presentation was more engaging, focused, stable, and detailed on every album we listened to. We were captivated by the propulsive drive of Depeche Mode and The Smiths. Lauryn Hill, Otis Redding, Aretha, and Nina Simoneā€™s vocals benefitted from the upfront presentation of the Wheel. The incredible album that is Bob Marleyā€™s Catch a Fire came alive and spit out a fantastic combination of rhythm and performance, musical and engaging.ā€

ā€œWe kept remarking how beautiful it looked and sounded when compared to my Pro-Ject turntable,ā€ said Doucet. ā€œThe Wheel compelled you to keep listening to more records, which is very desirable indeed.ā€

But when compared to an Lp12 with external phono, the Wheel could not compete.