Mixed Emotions - Goodbye SN1, Hello 252

While I owned my SN2, I did try a 282/HC/250.2 at home for a few days. It did not persuade me to upgrade. 252/SCDR/300 however totally “blows it away.” If one has the budget, skipping every little step makes perfect sense. Of course there are exceptions, and those who fully prefer 282 to 252 will say that skipping 282 is a big mistake of course. Cannot account for ALL opinions!

2 Likes

I think it will be a ‘no contest’ improvement. I did a similar journey (using SuperNait 2) and found that the pre-amp section of the SuperNait was holding things back.
252 is a wonderful pre-amp which I really, really enjoy.

The SN1 is probably my least favorite piece of kit of all of Naim. And the 252 is probably one of the better pieces of kit from Naim. I wouldn’t have any regrets.

interesting comments.

Well the 252 is different than the 282 for sure.

One thing I have learnt the hard way is that the mains connection at home is really important to get good sound quality.

Too many SMPS and noisy power supplies can take the fun away, so it pays to take care of the weak links in the system.

The 552 and 500 have power supplies that can eliminate virtually majority of noise from signal earth… as well as eliminate vibrations affecting the sound… from the floating chassis in the 552 and ND555…

interestingly even the mighty Chord Dave benefits from isolation devices placed underneath, and from better power cables like Naim Powerline (I heard the latter for myself so I am sure)

of course all these will never turn an SN1 into a 252, but even 252 benefits from Fraim, Powerline (on the Supercap) and from switch off some sources of noise like cheap SMPS…

For me Being an audiophile is a long journey, it isn’t easy, but the hard work pays off.

Eventually…

1 Like

Thanks you so much, Crispy.

Greetings.

Hi Analogmusic, I have been wondering whether to add a separate CU earthed back to the incoming PME for my dedicated radial installed before I joined the forum. I’ve got a serviced by unDRed 552/500 which has been getting better and better in the 5 months since I bought them. Very very pleased, but willing to spend a few hundred more if it makes a difference. I sometimes think my wife’s computer on the upstairs ring affects the SQ, but we have also had a new Rubbish Incinerator go live rather than draw off the grid and thinks are on the up.

KR

Phil

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.