Mixing Known And Unknown Music

My listening strategy is cross reference Uncut and Mojo magazines. A browse through the different genre of best sellers on Bandcamp listed at the bottom of the bandcamp page. Forum recomendations - one that would have passed me by is the brilliant Fantastic Negrito.

Somtimes I’ll do a label search in qobuz if I like an artist to see what else is released on their record label.

Finding new stuff is always a joy.

1 Like

It’s a very good album. Infact they have many good ones.

I never stop listening to new music or going back through my own collection. Like others here I utilise Roon combined with streaming services and this offers up new choices constantly with its recommendations or from Roon radio. If I hear something I like and not heard before I can jump straight to the album or add it and save it for later. I always start with something I am in the mood for then let the journey begin after that. Roon also opens up my own collection suggesting albums you have not played in a long time this is great for rediscovering gems you forgot you had.

2 Likes

I don’t, but I often deliberately stop and think what I haven’t played for a while, and pick an album that way, or if something doesn’t suggest itself I browse through my collection. Then when playing thoughts for things to follow down the avenue started will usually suggest themselves in my head. My core favourites will resurface again in another session before long, simply because they are that.

With some 1200 albums from which to choose, I could easily go a year without playing the same thing twice - but there are things I would not want to omit hearing for anywhere near that long.

1 Like

Umm…this thread has got me thinking. I might just open a thread in this here Music Room called ‘My Music Find Of The Week’, or something like that, so folk can post anything new (to them) they are excited about.

2 Likes

Well, as a mainly CD user for the last 20 years my pattern has always been quite similar. I buy new CD’s and then keep then in the bag on the arm chair nearest the system. I then choose a new cd to play and often play it multiple times to get a feel for it. Once the ball is rolling certain passages in songs or information I am reading about said music sparks a thought about another CD that I would like to listen to. I then grab that one and play it next. I am an album listener mainly. I am not so big on playlists and jumping about too much. I love finding new music but always have bought the CD as listening to the digital version previously meant poor quality and first impressions count!

I now have a streamer and am in the process of ripping CD’s. Its a brutal job but in ripping and correctly tagging all CD’s I am learning or relearning about bands and this provides an endless stream at the moment that I will probably never get to the bottom of. I am definitely a music fan first and a hifi fan second. I would rather listen to music than faff with testing this that or the other in my system. I am happy to set things up based on the collective wisdom on this forum and so far its worked!!

Last couple of listening sessions I have only listened to new (to me) albums, mainly from a selection of albums that caught my eye and I stuck into Qobuz Favourite Albums for a later listen. Some of these are by artists I am ‘rediscovering’, that is artists I am aware of but have not listened to for a very long time.

OK, there are one or two duds (not to my taste) but the vast majority have been a joy. It is so interesting and rewarding to listen to new stuff. My list of well liked albums is growing fast, with no fatigue or weariness.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.