MM Cartridge advice please

As much as I wouldn’t buy a New Rega , replacing a P25 with the more BASIC p3 wouldn’t even cross my mind.
Older players production was especially thorough and built to last,not to say they’re crappy now but since they’ve been sellimg bucketloads control qualityis more of an issuenowadays especially on lower decks
Your cart is the exact

Been looking into this and a P6 looks more appealing. The offer for my P25 is generous. I don’t have to accept just yet, so I have some time to think it through. I’ve had the P25 for over 20 years, but during the past 5 it has been on a second system.
I’ll work my dealer for some decent suitable cartridges.

For that money you could also get a Technics 1200 or 1210 GR if you can live with the looks.

Audio Technica AT VM740ML would be an excellent choice for the price, in my opinion. :wink:

regards,
Stefano

2 Likes

I tried an Exact with my Planar 3 (latest type) and found it okay, but missing “something”. I then tried the Goldring G1042, which I’m still using. It is taller than the Exact, but using a spacer didn’t appear to give noticeable benefits so it’s running spacerless.

There may be better/different available but I wasn’t keen on buying and trying loads - I’ve not found a dealer who will let you home dem cartridges and used carts tend to loose a lot of value when you sell them (not really surprising when they are so easily damaged). This seems like faint praise, but it’s really not - the Goldring is very good.

2 Likes

I like the Rega with dynavector 10*5 high output moving coil. Anything but dull presentation, and works with your MM stage. Currently running one on my p9.

2 Likes

The price of this DV may exclude it! Looks like around £550?
But, if the reviews are anything to go by, I ought to listen to it.

1 Like

Apparently I have been using various DV 10X’s since 1979… With a detour into Linn carts, then back the another DV10X…

Yes… have a listen…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.