MM Cartridge recommendations for my LP12

I had good results with a Hana high output HS cartridge on the LP12

1 Like

Mark, You may be set on an AT. Others have mentioned modern Ortofons. I chose a Goldring 2400 when I owned a Stageline N. Reviews at the time considered it a close competitor to the Ortofon 2M Black.

I can vouch for the fact that the 2400 is a great match with the darker character of the Stageline N. I think it was compliant too, to match your arm. You would need to check the spec.

Hope that helps.

A beautiful looking original Sondek of yours btw in your pic at the top of the thread.

C.

1 Like

As @Richard.Dane has already mentioned, the compliance of the cartridge is important. Perhaps this is one of those occasions when specifications can be important. The 3009 arm was designed when MM cartridges were king, in particular the Shure V15 was regarded as THE match. Stanton were an alternative. Cartridge manufacturers possibly do not help because dynamic compliance can be measured with different parameters. Shortening the figure, the AT cartridges mentioned have a declared dynamic compliance of 10, Ortofon 20 and Goldring 16. Then the weight (mass) of the cartridge comes into play as well.
The two tables shown here http://www.analogue-classics.com/html/sme_3009___3012.html should help find a physical match which may be a step before considering the match to a phono preamp?

thanks, I have a 3009 series II improved.

I reckon the AT VM-540ML will be ideal here.

Thanks for posting this. I am non techie. In fig. 1, is it desirable that the combination of compliance and total effect mass should fall inside the shaded area?

Thank you to everyoe who has offered advice and ideas, much appreciated.
I have learnt a lot . After some time reading and considering all the options, I have ordered a AT VM-540ML. Looking forward to fitting it.

2 Likes

Nice, sounds like it comes well recommended. To satisfy my own curiosity, does anyone have any experience with AT vs Nagaoka or Ortofon 2M ?

Just to add to the confusion I think AT publish the compliance at 100Hz, multiply by 1.7 to approximate the compliance at 10Hz.

I’m using a vm540ml on my Vertere TT, I have a feeling that you’ll enjoy it.

Tracks beautifully and that Microline digs out plenty of detail. Be interested to hear your findings.

Oh I know! confusing for a beginner like me. Here is what someone else said . . .
“dynamic compliance; worth noting the typical calculation one uses to to come up with the mass-compliance resonance frequency of an arm and cartridge is based on the dynamic compliance of the cartridge at 10 Hz, most Japanese cartridge manufacturers, however, measure compliance at 100 Hz – as you see in that spec AT does. There’s no way to know what the compliance is at 10 Hz, but the commonly used rule of thumb is to multiple the 100 Hz compliance figure by 1.5 - 2.0 to get a sense of what the compliance probably is at 10 Hz. Probably the AT dynamic compliance at 10 Hz is more like 20. On the highish side”. So as Richards says, sounds Ideal.
I ordered an AT in the end

Ooo! what Vertere TT do you have?

Yes, I’ll report back here later.

It’s the new DG1 :blush:

Very nice TT.
So I am intertested why you chose a vm540ml and not the VM740ML ?

The turntable comes with a Vertere MM cartridge called the Magneto that is actually a rebranded Vm520 by Audio Technica. I just ordered the micro line replacement stylus from the vm540.

I suspect there may be an improvement from the metal body on the 740 but probably marginal.

Think I also read somewhere that the plastic body would suit a lighter tonearm, and mine is relatively light.

Thank you again guys for all the advice. And thanks to Andy at Signals who supplied and fitted the cartridge beutifuly. A great service. So I can confirm that the Audio Technica VM540ML does indeed sound good with the SME-3009 and stageline N. Now feet up for the weekend and some listening. Happy Daze.

7 Likes

Splendid

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.