MoCA ethernet alternative

If you noticed this originally in the telephone line swap to ethernet thread, I pulled it out to open as a separate topic.

Does anyone have experience with Multimedia over Coax (MoCA) ?

I have coax connections in various rooms but no wired ethernet so wonder if is MoCA a viable alternative to looking at installing ethernet cables?

Plenty bandwidth by the looks of it (way more than ethernet potentially) but does the adapter itself (or its power supply) create its own (noise) issues if streamer or NAS is connected by this method?

I know nothing about MoCA, but presumably you need a (powered) converter to give you Ethernet connections to all your network devices. Sounds messy.

but presumably you need a (powered) converter to give you Ethernet connections to all your network devices.

Exactly. Coax for data transmission looks like a solid option but I cant find anything about the effect of the coax-ethernet bridge - is it just some sort of passive pass through (like an ethernet switch I suppose) or an active device which could introduce noise?

Well early Ethernet (10Base2) was delivered by coax… and if you hunt around you can still get Ethernet coax transceivers. The only consideration is that coax Ethernet is half duplex where as switched 8P8C Ethernet as Naim use and most current local networks use is typically full duplex… so performance won’t be great, even if the new streamers support half duplex. You may find things like automation and discovery not that good, but local media transfer should be ok.

coax Ethernet is half duplex where as switched 8P8C Ethernet as Naim use and most current local networks use is typically full duplex… so performance won’t be great, even if the new streamers support half duplex.

From what I have read about MoCA 2.0 and especially MoCA 2.5, performance appears fenomenal compared to ethernet. Is the issue for streamers a requirement for simultaneous 2 way data traffic ? I do want to be able to hook up a streamer…

You need to check whether full duplex or half. If half duplex then network performance will be compromised compared to full duplex largely irrespective of the effective sync speed. Remember Ethernet used to use coax many many years ago and has moved on for overall performance reasons. These days most Ethernet links are full duplex… that is they have send and receive wires. If Your system is half duplex on a single coax and you had a send coax and a parallel receive coax then one might get similar performance perhaps.
This is where perhaps a little knowledge is not a good thing. With many protocols these days they benefit from concurrent up/down communication for max performance, otherwise it will operate like wifi.

If your coax link is simply point to point… then it could be effectively managed by its protocol… if there are multiple hosts on the coax and the coax medium is half duplex… then one has a multiple host collision domain, and performance will be impacted with the effects of CSMA/CD or equivalent.

Thanks for taking the time to clarify Simon, I think I even understood most of it !

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.