Modern vinyl a few queries and observations

Yes Neil, that should be fine. :+1:

Thanks for the confirmation.

Another vote for Spincare. Fast delivery and fair prices for quality products

2 Likes

I just pre-ordered the new Abba album on orange vinyl for about £27 but must confess that even as a vinyl lover I had to think long and hard before doing so when the CD with all its inherent flexibility to rip it to my NAS, play throughout the house on multiple devices or carry it with me on my personal FLAC player is only £11. The sheer joy of playing vinyl, of seeing the artwork and reading the sleeve notes has never been equalled by any other format though.

I was in HMV only the other day and was amazed at the number of mid-teen kids browsing and buying in the vinyl section. It’s good to see but I’m glad that I bought most of my vinyl in the late 1980’s and early 1990’s when due to the launch of CD record shops couldn’t give vinyl away and secondhand record shops were awash with the stuff! Nowadays the reverse is true and CD is an absolute bargain so I buy mostly on that format.

From memory most vinyl albums were around £8.99 in 1989 so I suppose the £20-£25 of today’s vinyl reflects inflation rather than exploitation and makes CD a real bargain. With a top flight turntable music is very often more enjoyable on vinyl although I think the very best quality source is now high bitrate downloads from the likes of HD tracks and naim - they’re not as much fun though as cueing vinyl on my Gyrodec/SME IV!!

Jonathan

4 Likes

We have a new independent record shop opening up in Bath on Saturday, so hopefully this love of Vinyl will continue for awhile longer.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.