MoFi One Step - Some interrogations on how lps are made, 45 pm channel

I agree with that guy for one thing important: in the case of Abraxas for instance, why pay 2 hundred bocks for the one step lp cut from DSD as you can buy the SACD or DSD for 20 dollars?

4 Likes

What are your favourite then ?
I have some pure pleasure, 5 or 6. They sound good, clean and silent. But I prefer the originals.
I have about 10 MOFI, they sound impressive for some, but canā€™t really say I prefer them to my originals. Like both.
I think my favourite are Analogue productions. I have maybe 7 or 8.
3 Tone Poets. Good. But wonā€™t say I am impressed.
As I donā€™t really listen to 50ā€™s and 60ā€™s jazz , I donā€™t have Music Matters. But know they are very highly rated.

I donā€™t really have any ā€œaudiophile labelā€ faves. Iā€™ve bought a few MoFi over the years but none recently and no inclination to buy any more.
Original pressings seem better to me. Iā€™ve just bought Cassandra Wilson - New Moon Daughter; I was tempted by the audiophile version but plumped for a very lightly used original Blue Note 1995 pressing - no 180g, no 45rpm. And itā€™s stunning. Fantastic recording and not a single pop or click anywhere, and only 20 quid :+1:

1 Like

I usually prefer to buy buy their SACDs. I have tried some of their modern day vinyl and I have a couple of them steal sealed. I cannot say that I was a big fan of the original companyā€™s vinyl either.

How about selling us some of those 4x DSD transfers? Perhaps we could see better affordable DSD non vinyl based (greener) DACs :pleading_face:.

My best MOFI I have: Jeff Beck Blow by Blow, and Wired : 45 pm.
Dire Straits/ first album, 45 pm.

2 Likes

Why so? If MoFi records sounded good to you before, then theyā€™ll still sound good now. Surely you didnā€™t buy because of the manufacturing process, but because you liked the music and the sound quality and that hasnā€™t changed. Being a little opaque with the truth is not uncommon these days; itā€™s something weā€™re becoming quite accustomed to in the U.K.

I have only 4 or 5 Mobile Fidelity, I enjoy them, but as i said, donā€™t really prefer them to my originals. I like to have the original intended analog sound. Now when I know they come, since 2015 ( in majority) from DSD, I am not so encliined to throw 80 euros for it.

3 Likes

Good old Chad & Co.!

5 Likes

Thanks @TheKevster great video I really like that my records have passed through all those individuals hands thereā€™s a connection there that you just do not get with a stream or a music file.

The care those people take really, really shows in the product and really, really comes through when you are listening to the records. When you peel off the thin plastic strip to open up an Acoustic Sounds or Analogue Productions record you just know that all will be well and that your hard earned has been well spent.

4 Likes

Acoustic Sounds are a very impressive company and the relentless focus on quality, across all parts of the manufacturing/business chain, is revealing - and refreshing.

I love the fact that they have their own proprietary packaging. I ordered a batch of records earlier in the year and they were shipped from the middle of Kansas to the middle of Devon within a week. The box was like a briefcase.

The only downside is cost. The Fed Ex shipping and the custom duties (and credit card fee) really add a lot to the asking price listed on their website. Outside of Chadā€™s control though.

The folks in this film all come across well. Letā€™s hope they maintain their growth trajectory without compromising on the quality. A company like this deserves success.

1 Like

In this chat on Michael Ludwigsā€™ 45RPM Audophile channel, Chad talks a number of times about two upcoming mega-announcements, projects that will keep him busy for the next decade. He wonā€™t be drawn on what they are, but we can all speculate, canā€™t we?

A UHQR of DSOTM for that albumā€™s 50th birthday maybe? A 100% analogue Beatles stereo box maybe (or a repress of the 2014 monos)?

Or a repress of the all-analogue Led Zeppelin Classic Records editions from 20 or so years ago (Chad bought all the assets and metalwork from Classsic when they went bust, so would only need Jimmy Pageā€™s say-so to repress them). Or maybe all the PF, Led Zep or Beatles albums on SACD or as UHQRs?

There are Fabs and Queen box sets in the backgroundā€¦ I wonder if these are clues (I hope not in the case of Queen, it would be a terrible waste of vinyl and Acoustic Soundsā€™ time).

What about UHQR versions of all the Goldfrapp albums?

3 Likes

Iā€™m hopeful we will see AP do the full (or at least missing albums) Steely Dan catalogueā€¦he did say that would be very nice when asked about Steely Dan and Kevin Gray recently commented that all the master tapes are available. Can only hope I guess

2 Likes

Nope. Queen are schiit. Always were, always will be. Itā€™s a free country, Ian, and we are still, as far as I know, allowed to express an opinion, whether itā€™s popular or not.

Nobodyā€™s stopping you listening to Queen or expressing your love of their music, if thatā€™s what you want to do. And thereā€™s nothing to stop anyone saying Queenā€™re sheet, if thatā€™s what they think. Queen suck big time, Iā€™m afraid. Not as much as Sting, I grant, but they suckā€¦ baaaad.

2 Likes

I would ask that you consider editing your first post above - and removing your second one

Attn @Richard.Dane

Nope, I wonā€™t edit it. If you donā€™t like what Iā€™ve said, just block me (or whatever).

How intolerant of youā€¦ :angry:

The only person here whoā€™s being intolerant is you, dear boy - asking me to edit posts and then going running to the mods just because I slagged off Queen. I think Queen are crap. Deal with it. Iā€™m not the only person to hold that opinion.

3 Likes

We all have different taste in music. If you think a particular band are rubbish then thereā€™s nothing to prevent you from voicing that opinion. No rules broken in doing so.

However, mindful that others here may just love the band that you loathe (and vice versa), itā€™s best not to fight over such things.

5 Likes

It reminds me when I wrote that all these women jazz singers as Diana Krall, Melanie Gardot or Norah Jones ā€¦etc ā€¦is elevator music.
I agree with Kev here, each can give his musical opinion.
As for waiting reissues from Led ZEP, Rolling Stones, Beatlesā€¦.Sorry, thanks, but no. Enough of that. I would much more prefer some Acoustic sounds reissues of less known artists or albums.

2 Likes

I think this is a good and measured take on the MoFi controversy. As TVA Chris says, the issue isnā€™t sound quality, but one of marketing and transparency (not to mention pricing):

2 Likes

I have not bought any reissue vinyl in a long time. Just a personal suspicion that the pristine source is too good to be true. I remember the disappointment in Classic Records back in the day. DiscOgs is much worse in my experience.

It is even worse in American Whiskey. So much of Bourbon and the like is ā€œsourcedā€, ie bulk ethanol that is delivered in a tanker, flavored to taste, and then marketing takes over. It has not sent me to single malt Scotch but I am now leaning that way. It is over 100F here every day. If you have any Scotch cocktails to beat the heat, post them up.

1 Like

They finally did the right thing.
MOFI apology:

5 Likes

all these women jazz singers as Diana Krall, Melanie Gardot or Norah Jones ā€¦etc ā€¦is elevator music.

Et tu, FR? :shushing_face: I have trouble with most vocals andā€¦have never listened to Goldfrap. :sunglasses: