Moon and Naim product compatability

There is much truth in this description.

Just as an update, we went listened to a few options last night before settling on a Bluesound Node (2021) streamer and Chord Qutest DAC. I have to say we liked the sound of all the options that we listened to and there really wasn’t much between a couple of them, though a far more expensive combination with the Auralic, ATC speakers, and Amp that had been set up in another listening room (btw forgot the brand of the amp) was out of our price range, sounded fab’ and great to hear the Auralic perform so well. But back to the more realistic options, I was amazed at how I could instantly tell the signature sound of the Naim and Dynaudio set up, but overall I felt that Bluesound and Chord offering was a bit pacier and livelier, let me add, I am not saying better, but perhaps something that we were looking for. My wife said immediately I like that set up, even though it was more boxes (albeit small ones)

5 Likes

Just thought that I would provide a bit of an update a few weeks down the line.

I have been super impressed with the Bluesound Node streamer and Chord Qutest DAC, I suspect that it is the DAC that is making a huge difference. I purchased these two thinking that my current Dynaudio speakers might be a weak link and perhaps the next thing to be replaced, but I have to say they have been given a new lease of life and I really, really believe that this is down to the DAC. I absolutely love my Naim kit and it has served me fantastically well for many, many years, but the streamer and DAC easily outperform my Naim CD player and I have always been hugely impressed with this component, btw that isn’t just me saying that my wife was completely bowled over by it, we are hearing things that we never heard before, silly subtle little things like the singer breathing between notes is really clear.

So if anyone is thinking of adding a streaming component to their system for a relatively modest outlay then I would heartily recommend this combo’ .

Btw I have used Tidal (taking advantage of a month’s free subscription), Plex, and a couple of radio stations via the BlueNode software. We used a couple of TP-Link Powerline Adapter Sets where you can plug in an ethernet cable directly into this through your mains, the ethernet cable is a SUPRA Cables CAT8 Netzwerkkabel and the interconnects were from Chord and I believe were What HiFi award winners.

3 Likes

Are you using USB to connect the node to the Qutest?

1 Like

I have a few Moon components in my system. They do work well with Naim gear. The Moon Mind 2 streamer is a superb piece of kit I used one for 3 years into an Ndac with great results

The Moon kit still has the timing but is a bit more neutral not as rich.

If you are happy to have the boxes then the Mind 2 offers you options and you can pair with the Dac of your choice. A used NDac would work really well.

If you are into CDs then the Moon 260d is a nice transport

2 Likes

Their phono stages are pretty good too.

1 Like

for me the mix between my Moon I-7 and the NDX2 is excellent. I don’t regret it.

Bluesound are nice devices I have a few of them around the house, great app and functionality and Roon ready to boot.

There certainly is something special about chord DACs also.

I love my Naim amplification too but like many here have moved source to streamer and DAC (admittedly without doing a direct comparison) as I like the ability to change DAC or streamer as situations may arise rather than having both on the one box.

Glad you and your wife are both enjoying music on your system, that’s the main thing.

.sjb

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.